Jaguar

Race tournament. Interested? Let's brainstorm!

On 18/08/2016 at 3:15 PM, Pill_ said:

zoot streamed DFWC in 2014, I thought it was pretty alright to watch when they did round 6. From what I understood, the map in that round gave players a lot of possibilities, so it was pretty cool to see the different routes people had come up with. Plus, they had gotten w3sp to come on and commentate, that was quite interesting.

shoutout to santile for being baller

I missed this before mate, this is really cool. I'd really like to stream a demo review tournament at some point, but that'll require a bit more work I think. It requires collaboration with race mapmakers!

I'd prefer the way DFWC does it. That way the cup is more focused on the maps rather than the opponents. It's not a mode meant for pvp anyway, live pressure would only lower the quality of runs. Here's some of my suggestions:

• Maps should be brand new and released on the last possible moment to prevent preparation. This makes it feel more "live" regardless of it not being live.
  • Each map should emphasize in different areas such as strafe jumping, precision jumps and weapon tricks (so it's not favorable to only one specialization).
  • Maps should be long and complex enough to take at least an average of 30sec to complete, not literally and exactly - I think you know what I mean.
  • If it's being played online, spectating should be disabled somehow to prevent route stealing. (Push forward a feature request?)
  • No bullshittery against pre-jumping, other than the limits provided by map geometry which is up to the wits of the mappers. 

2 hours ago, Smilecythe said:

I'd prefer the way DFWC does it. That way the cup is more focused on the maps rather than the opponents. It's not a mode meant for pvp anyway, live pressure would only lower the quality of runs. Here's some of my suggestions:

• Maps should be brand new and released on the last possible moment to prevent preparation. This makes it feel more "live" regardless of it not being live.
  • Each map should emphasize in different areas such as strafe jumping, precision jumps and weapon tricks (so it's not favorable to only one specialization).
  • Maps should be long and complex enough to take at least an average of 30sec to complete, not literally and exactly - I think you know what I mean.
  • If it's being played online, spectating should be disabled somehow to prevent route stealing. (Push forward a feature request?)
  • No bullshittery against pre-jumping, other than the limits provided by map geometry which is up to the wits of the mappers. 

Live event pressure could help in some respects, and I think it makes it more interesting. There's a place for both types; I'd really like to do a DFWC event as well.

Problem with that is I'm not a mapper, and I'd have to work with mappers to make a bunch of new maps over a short period of time. So that's a lot of planning.

Maps should definitely mix it up, skill wise. Much fairer that way.

Could disqualify people if they switch to spectator mode. Maybe a leniency period if the instantly switch back, in case it was accidental.

I have no issue with pre-jumping. If you mean what I think you mean (jumping around to gain speed before going through the start zone?

8 hours ago, Jaguar said:

I am resurrecting this thread because I'd really quite like to hold this tournament as a stream. I think it'd be a fun event to stream, and a slightly different one too. The race mode in Reflex is pretty damn cool; I'd like to give it some exposure.

But, I'm strapped for time so I'm going to organise this as simply as possible. With help from the racing community, let's get some map suggestions that people are happy with, and what I'd really like to do is get a mapper - @rekk0r...? @kairos...? @bej

@Thaylia - perhaps Turbo Pixel could donate/promote in some way? Maybe some Steam keys for winners to give away to their friends, a cool cosmetic item *cough*angrydroidhead*cough* maybe.. I would be happy to chip in some money, maybe $50 USD, to get the prizepool going. Other donations would be welcome of course, and people could donate items too.

Maybe a new robot head with a spoiler on it. ?

Edited by lolograde

@Jaguar : Like I said at Discord, I would love to see a race tournament, and I wanna see a live tournament. You should start with some polls. First poll would be "Who wants to join the tournament", after that, let the community make suggestions about which maps they wanna see and than make a poll about maps. Take 4-5 maps out of this poll and set a date. It should be a tournement with no weapon maps, cas of know reasons.

^This is a suggestions for the first tournemant. After that we can collect feedback and set up the next one with maybe new maps, non-live tournaments (like defrag world cup) and so on...

I'm not a quick mapper unfortunately, but I have an old map I could enter (that has been somewhat already previewed by a few, but barely played); I will also start work on a new map in-case a competition arises, and keep it quiet, but usually I'd need a lot of testing. Maybe I can think something up a bit more open-worldy. It'll be hard to make a good one with little testing though. The risk is I make a snore-fest of a map because the faster players find some horrid, slowing to a halt, or grindy sort of section.

6 hours ago, Monti said:

@Jaguar : Like I said at Discord, I would love to see a race tournament, and I wanna see a live tournament. You should start with some polls. First poll would be "Who wants to join the tournament", after that, let the community make suggestions about which maps they wanna see and than make a poll about maps. Take 4-5 maps out of this poll and set a date. It should be a tournement with no weapon maps, cas of know reasons.

^This is a suggestions for the first tournemant. After that we can collect feedback and set up the next one with maybe new maps, non-live tournaments (like defrag world cup) and so on...

I can agree with that. What would be the structure? 7 maps, 20 mins on each map, lowest combined time wins? You've gotta be in the server at start and cannot disconnect until tournament is complete?

For map pool, I'd say make it a mix of strafe (3x), technical (2x), and weapons (2x). Is that fair?

Edited by lolograde

20 hours ago, Monti said:

Well, this thread is supposed to serve as the first poll you suggest. It seems to have generated interest. People have also said in Discord that they'd be up for it. I'll do a poll though as well, to get some more exact numbers. Next would be a thread to suggest maps (can't do that as a poll right?). Could have a separate post for each map, and then let people 'like' that post to serve as a vote. That might work well.

20 hours ago, bej said:

I'm not a quick mapper unfortunately, but I have an old map I could enter (that has been somewhat already previewed by a few, but barely played); I will also start work on a new map in-case a competition arises, and keep it quiet, but usually I'd need a lot of testing. Maybe I can think something up a bit more open-worldy. It'll be hard to make a good one with little testing though. The risk is I make a snore-fest of a map because the faster players find some horrid, slowing to a halt, or grindy sort of section.

You raise an interesting point regarding map testing. It would be unfair for map testers to enter the tournament as they would have an advantage. I can't see a way around that.. Short of only having one or two people test the map and not allow them to compete. But that could be circumvented... meh.

14 hours ago, lolograde said:

I can agree with that. What would be the structure? 7 maps, 20 mins on each map, lowest combined time wins? You've gotta be in the server at start and cannot disconnect until tournament is complete?

For map pool, I'd say make it a mix of strafe (3x), technical (2x), and weapons (2x). Is that fair?

Yeah about 20 minutes on each map, ~7 maps. Either lowest combined time, or points F1 style (10 points to winner, 7 points to 2nd place....). Single elimination whereby slowest time is eliminated, doesn't seem to appeal to the majority. Might have to poll that too.

when I was young I competed in snowboard races some of them were "parallel-slaloms", you would have a timer and a gate which opens for both at the same time so you and the spectators would see who leads in the race what was concerning my adrenaline super exciting and for the viewers of course too as they didn't only see the time at the end but could spectate the "battle". this would be with the movable "shootables" possible to achieve 3 which open in one second intervals and the last one would open the racetrack which would be side by side of course the same for both racers. (probably we would need one shootable which pushes the racer in the race start zone so that you could actually miss the start by timing your first jump bad when the final "gate" opens (the race starts with the first of the three count-down shootables for both) the mappers might have better ideas how to do that properly)

might be more of a curiosity than an appreciated idea by racers... but who knows for the spectators it would be for sure very exciting to watch and getting people to watch live is how donations come in for competitions (at least the last live stream I watched seemed to confirm that)