Jaguar

Race tournament. Interested? Let's brainstorm!

I was talking last night to @htprankster and he said wh1te was going to organise a tournament, but has recently retired. I thought it would be fun, and good exposure for the race mode of the game.   Not sure how to do it though so list your ideas below! New maps would be ideal, perhaps released a week before the competition for people to practise, then I an event with a timelimit and perhaps an attempt limit too. More maps would be ideal of course but a new map takes time to lovingly craft, right?!

I like this race tournament idea !

I think there are already far enough good maps to make a first tournament.

I would suggest 5-7 maps with a short timelimit (5-10 minutes) to have a 45-60 minutes tournament. Only a few minutes so you have much pressure. I dislike the attempt limit idea.

For each race a points system seems more interesting (instead of a time addition).

Funny idea : the last map could be a new one so it would be more about the learning aspect which is also fundemantel in the race mode.

2 hours ago, Tac said:

I like this race tournament idea !

I think there are already far enough good maps to make a first tournament.

I would suggest 5-7 maps with a short timelimit (5-10 minutes) to have a 45-60 minutes tournament. Only a few minutes so you have much pressure. I dislike the attempt limit idea.

For each race a points system seems more interesting (instead of a time addition).

Funny idea : the last map could be a new one so it would be more about the learning aspect which is also fundemantel in the race mode.

Sounds good, keeps it short and sweet, and puts an emphasis on getting solid runs instead of spending an hour hitting suicide all the time, hunting that perfect run. People will want to get an initial time in I would think, and then constantly improve. But I guess others would risk it all for that perfect run. Progressive elimination could be fun for that too, put the pressure on even more! Otherwise yeah, a points system (10 for a win, 7 for 2nd place, 5 for third...) for each map, and tally up at the end maybe.

Which maps would be most popular/suitable? Is anyone working on a new map that might be a good candidate?

Also - are you the same Tac who made the map 'Bazinga'? I love that map in FFA, so much fun :D More maps please! :D

2 hours ago, Jaguar said:

People will want to get an initial time in I would think, and then constantly improve. But I guess others would risk it all for that perfect run.

Yea, that could lead to intense race with some strategy (but don't know if all wanna this).

Progressive elimination could be fun for that too, put the pressure on even more!

Don't know. Imagine you lose on the first game ^^ Even if you have no chance, I think its better if you can play all the races. On the other hand it could bring some serious pressure. For a first tournament I would prefer having no elimination.

Maybe you can creat a poll with a few questions (Time limit ? Elimination ?...)

Also - are you the same Tac who made the map 'Bazinga'? I love that map in FFA, so much fun :D More maps please! :D

Thank you! I'm working on new original stuff.

^That kind of defeats the purpose of having a streamed cup tho. Racevideos of WRs and fast runs is good and all, but it doesn't really have the same pressure of a live event. I feel thats kind of like asking for a racemovie of the WR's on <x map pack>. I personally would much rather watch (and maybe compete, who knows) if the pressure of failure is there and you have to watch your competition, making a storyline out of the cup.

Just my 2 cents

39 minutes ago, BattleSnacks said:

Maybe have the maps release, run it on a server that records demos, give participants 1 week to play on the server, and then after 1 week is up, announce the fastest times in like a video with the demos of the best runs.

It's an interesting idea but I agree with @Owl, it doesn't lend itself well to a live event. Also, it'd be an absolute bugger to go through the replays and find the best times. You'd have to cross reference with the results, which someone would have to compile. Probably easier to just cast the event live and then if anyone has time they can fish through the replays to make a nice shiny video from them.

Plus, when it comes to racing (such as Trackmania) I always think consistency is the mark a good player, so shorter play times would favour that. I'll wait for more feedback and narrow the options down and then do a poll. Maybe :P

Just an idea : Would it possible to have an official server with this weekly new map and no vote allowed, 60 minutes timelimit with an automatic screenshot at the end? During the week each player posts his best time and when he did it so the server owner just has to check with the screenshot. At the end of the week, the demo of the best time is presented and each player gets points.

12 minutes ago, Tac said:

Just an idea : Would it possible to have an official server with this weekly new map and no vote allowed, 60 minutes timelimit with an automatic screenshot at the end? During the week each player posts his best time and when he did it so the server owner just has to check with the screenshot. At the end of the week, the demo of the best time is presented and each player gets points.

It's possible unofficially. sv_allowcallvotemapmode locks game mode and maps, so automatically forces map rotation. Scores could be taken by viewing replays.

zoot streamed DFWC in 2014, I thought it was pretty alright to watch when they did round 6. From what I understood, the map in that round gave players a lot of possibilities, so it was pretty cool to see the different routes people had come up with. Plus, they had gotten w3sp to come on and commentate, that was quite interesting.

shoutout to santile for being baller

On 8/18/2016 at 10:35 AM, Jaguar said:

It strikes me that this is best done once the game has some more features for filtering and searching through replays. Hmm :P

No one has parsed replays for this sort of stuff?

13 hours ago, lolograde said:

No one has parsed replays for this sort of stuff?

I guess not. The replay system is somewhat rudimentary at the moment. @Qualx has made a neat thing that searches for markers in replays, so you can filter for them.

4 hours ago, thelawenforcer said:

i favour a knockout competition, 10 maps, x mins per map. player with the worst time gets dropped. 3 player grandfinal or something. would be more interesting to watch that way, rather than watching demos etc.

Of all ideas I think this is quite a nice one. Certainly I think it will be the simplest to organise and execute. One server, x players, 10 minutes per map (maybe more if the map is a longer one), player with the worst time is eliminated. Newest maps first, perhaps? Or last? I'm not sure which would be best.

I think ultimately it has to be live. Yeah. Replays not particularly viable right now anyway and the pressure of a live event is half the fun, right? What do you guys think? Which maps would you nominate?

6 minutes ago, htprankster said:

Progressive elimination can't work because players might outnumber the maps available.

Point based matches would be better, something as in F1 like: 1st - 10, 2nd - 7, 3rd - 5...

But it could easily by a fixed amount of players too. However, now you mention it, there's little reason to limit is there. No match-ups need to be made. So the only limitation is server stability. And I think in race mode you can easily have more than 8 players - I've noticed the DDD server went from 8 slots to 16 slots, recently.

Points based makes sense. Maybe make the map time limit using a multiplier of the average time on that map. Like if the map takes most good players 30s to run through, you could use a multiplier of say 20x, for a total limit of 20 * 30s = 600s/10 minutes - so you'll get approximately 15-18 or so attempts?

12 hours ago, htprankster said:

Progressive elimination can't work because players might outnumber the maps available.

That's not a real problem, you can just have 2 eliminations for the first maps if there are two many runners.

But I really think a points system would be more interesting to start. The tournament must be for all, beginners included. We can for instance have 5 maps to determine the 3 best players (according to the points), and then a final harder map between these 3 players only. This last map makes the podium.

Which maps ? I would say :

- 2 beginners friendly. It doesn't mean a boring map, but just one you can finish even with low speed. (need to check the map names)

- 3 for advance runners. Typical rekkor maps (rushed, orion, hankman, and many others)

- 1 hard map for the final (something like La_dreams for example)

12 hours ago, Jaguar said:

Points based makes sense. Maybe make the map time limit using a multiplier of the average time on that map. Like if the map takes most good players 30s to run through, you could use a multiplier of say 20x, for a total limit of 20 * 30s = 600s/10 minutes - so you'll get approximately 15-18 or so attempts?

Maybe we can just make something easier like : if the best time > 25 sec => 8 minutes timelimit. If best time < 25 sec => 5 minutes timelimit.

Thanks for the map recommendations @Tac, i'll have a look at those. And yeah, you could do the map/round time that way, that'd be a simpler. It would be ideal to have no limit on sign up numbers. Although server client cap... could have two servers though

I am resurrecting this thread because I'd really quite like to hold this tournament as a stream. I think it'd be a fun event to stream, and a slightly different one too. The race mode in Reflex is pretty damn cool; I'd like to give it some exposure.

But, I'm strapped for time so I'm going to organise this as simply as possible. With help from the racing community, let's get some map suggestions that people are happy with, and what I'd really like to do is get a mapper - @rekk0r...? @kairos...? @bej...? :) - or mappers, to contribute a brand new map for the final runs. That would make for a test of how quickly you can learn a new map, which I think would be interesting.

Also, once the new maps are released, a sub competition could be formed from people submitting their fastest times in demo format. So 1-2 weeks after the tournament, a winner for each new map could be announced too.

@Thaylia - perhaps Turbo Pixel could donate/promote in some way? Maybe some Steam keys for winners to give away to their friends, a cool cosmetic item *cough*angrydroidhead*cough* maybe.. I would be happy to chip in some money, maybe $50 USD, to get the prizepool going. Other donations would be welcome of course, and people could donate items too.

I think a point based format, F1 style, would be more appealing to players, but an elimination tournament (slowest time on each map is eliminated until only two players remain) would be a little simpler to organise. Might have to do a poll for that.

Lastly, any volunteers to help me get this done would be most appreciate. I run a business and I'm in a relationship, both are quite time consuming (not to mention playing Reflex 50hrs a week), so help would be nice!