fuglaa

Experimental Wishlist

Since we are gonna get more frequent experimental builds I thought it might be good to throw ideas down

I'd like to see:

i like rockets but tweak a tincy bit
ammo reduction
ic kb increased some more (you can crouch walk into shaft, cant trap people at rail dp5 etc)
some kinda plasma tweaks to made it better at spam (it feels like a ghetto ic atm, noone is scared to peak and bolt through a plasma spam)

Not sure about wind up for IC but yeah I much prefer the air kb where it was at before. For BR, it could be really interesting, though. Having it do like 50 damage if you shoot it as soon as possible and then the full 80 after 1 or 2 seconds might be good. 

For plasma, I'd like the KB direction to be applied the same way it was before the last exp update. Right now if you shoot someone in the foot they go straight up even if you're shooting at them from above or if you shoot someone in the head they go almost straight down even if you shoot them from below. While that feels OK with the RL, it's really unintuitive on the plasma and leads to some awkward fights. 

Probably biggest changes I'd like to see are a reduction to the RL's knockback and a slight reduction to the RL's splash damage radius (something between where it was in 45 and where it is in current exp).

7 hours ago, doombro said:

shortened suicide delay for race pls

This can just go in all modes :) I can't think of a reason why that delay/limit is in the game. Maybe I'm missing something, but it sure can be frustrating.

Just now, Jaguar said:

This can just go in all modes :) I can't think of a reason why that delay/limit is in the game. Maybe I'm missing something, but it sure can be frustrating.

It was messing with the server when people spammed suicide. Idk why it had to be 5s suicide delay though, a bit excessive.

4 minutes ago, Jaguar said:

when i got the game way back at like 35, there was no delay and if anyone had gibs enabled you could murder their frames by exploding yourself continuously at spawn. delay was introduced shortly after :-(

Just now, doombro said:

when i got the game way back at like 35, there was no delay and if you anyone had gibs enabled you could murder their frames by exploding yourself continuously at spawn. delay was introduced shortly after :-(

Maybe it could be voted for?

There's also the fact that you can kill yourself to get a better spawn without having a weapon to selfdamage with. Without delay you could do that as many times as you want until you get a spawn you like. In some situations that's not a bad idea at all. It's not a very elegant mechanic, IIRC CPM had a delay as well for that reason, though I could be wrong about that.

49 minutes ago, Jaguar said:

For CTF, delayed respawn is crucial. I think it's 5s in CPM CTF but other modes it's 1s.

Would be interested to see weapon specific switch times tested out. Like br could have a longer 'switch to' time, and ic could have a longer 'switch away' time. e.g. ic switch away = 100ms, br switch to = 100ms for a total of 200ms, while shotgun might have 30ms switch time, so ic to sg in this example would only be 130ms.

8 hours ago, lolograde said:

For CTF, delayed respawn is crucial. I think it's 5s in CPM CTF but other modes it's 1s.

Of course. But i'm talking about forced suicide, not respawning after being fragged. If those two are separate in the code which I think they would be, you can change the limit on one without affecting the other. And it could always be restricted to race mode, I guess, if there are other issues.

11 minutes ago, Jaguar said:

Of course. But i'm talking about forced suicide, not respawning after being fragged. If those two are separate in the code which I think they would be, you can change the limit on one without affecting the other. And it could always be restricted to race mode, I guess, if there are other issues.

It's the same for CTF. Doesn't matter if you're fragged or suicide. Respawn needs delay in CTF so people don't abuse it making it a lot harder to cap.

3 hours ago, lolograde said:

It's the same for CTF. Doesn't matter if you're fragged or suicide. Respawn needs delay in CTF so people don't abuse it making it a lot harder to cap.

But there's no reason for the delay in race mode, right?

Just now, Jaguar said:

But there's no reason for the delay in race mode, right?

I agree race suicide delay could be lowered. Only reason not to, that I can think of, is performance killing by someone spamming suicide at spawn. Some people have machines that can handle that but others (like myself) will be forced to turn gibs off to avoid fps drops when someone is suiciding a lot at initial spawn.

5 minutes ago, lolograde said:

I agree race suicide delay could be lowered. Only reason not to, that I can think of, is performance killing by someone spamming suicide at spawn. Some people have machines that can handle that but others (like myself) will be forced to turn gibs off to avoid fps drops when someone is suiciding a lot at initial spawn.

I think /suicide in race mode should not suicide but teleport to the initial spawn. In this case you don't need to change the suicide delay from one mode to another.

6 minutes ago, Tac said:

I think /suicide in race mode should not suicide but teleport to the initial spawn. In this case you don't need to change the suicide delay from one mode to another.

Great idea/solution :)

I think for mappers placeholder stake gun and ammo pick ups would be nice! Very easy to add I would think.

Would lead to faster gathering of information of how the stake could be balanced best.

ruleset experimental -> place holder stake gun pick ups are in addition to bolt.

ruleset experimental_stake -> enable to try the stake where it is not implemented, stake replaces bolt as it is now.

Interestingly on @Smilecythe 's map smiledm1 http://reflexfiles.com/file/216

and @Terifire 's dm_sacred rebuild terdmsacred http://reflexfiles.com/file/360

the stake pick ups still work even in ruleset casual but if you go in the editor and click on it they change to burst gun and you just have the standard options for pick ups...

as I said I think it would lead to more information about how to tweak the stake gun if mappers have the possibility to place it on their maps and Smilecythe already said he is waiting for the implementation so he can rework his map...

Weapon spawn only giving ammo on when you don't have the weapon before that pickup and maybe lower max ammo across the board and lower ammo on pickup. Bolt could definitely go down to max 8, on-pickup 4 IMO.

15 hours ago, Aletheia said:

as I said I think it would lead to more information about how to tweak the stake gun if mappers have the possibility to place it on their maps and Smilecythe already said he is waiting for the implementation so he can rework his map...

it would be great to have a seperate itemspawn for the stake gun

12 hours ago, Pill_ said:

Weapon spawn only giving ammo on when you don't have the weapon before that pickup

would the gun stay up for someone else to grab it? i remember it being that way in unreal tournament 2004.