Sign in to follow this  
shooter

Official 2v2 TDM Mapping Competition - Results!

So our 2v2 mapping competition has come to an end, thanks to everyone who entered! We had over 30 submissions and many many games were played.

Was good to see maps from some more experienced mappers as well as new mappers. Each offering different approaches. It was a pleasant surprise to see many new mappers put up quality maps, people obviously put time into their efforts :)

In the end it was Ironguard that captured us, it was a favourite among many judges and we definitely had a lot of fun games on this map.

The final results are:

1st place: Ironguard by irish
workshop link: http://www.steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=626520198
0ONDyjd.jpg

2nd place: Phobos by promEUs
workshop link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=716386516
sCulnyR.jpg

3rd place: Thermal Blast by def and mazu
workshop link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=741879425
yHh0lq9.jpg

Thanks to all our entrants, congratulations to our winners, and much love to our judges! We'll be in contact shortly to hand out the prizes :)

Can somebody please explain why Ironguard is first place? Also I would like to know why promeus had to remove so many routes from Phobos. I liked the flow in the old version a lot more. The thing is that I would like to build some reflex map but I think nobody is going to play it since I seem to have a bad taste in maps. Generally I like complex maps with a lot of different ranges and hights. For a cool map I think it's also nice to be able to reach weapons quickly and to have a lot of trickjumps and routes. EDIT: I think it would be cool to have some pinned forum topics with guidelines/tips what to take care about when planning / building a new 'competetive' map for a specific gamemode.

I have just spun up a server for 2V2/TDM (because currently 2V2 isn't an official gamemode. I'm sure it will be soon though!), that is locked to Ironguar and TDM. I also run a TDM only server that people can use, and a main server which allows for all modes. And a bunch of others :P. All of my servers start with 'Jaguar / Laerad' and are hosted on an FTTC connection, in my shop, in the UK.

http://reflex.syncore.org (server list)
reflex.laerad.net:25796 - 2V2 server
reflex.laerad.net:25792 - TDM
reflex.laerad:net:25797 - ALL/anything!

Let me know if there are any problems, I haven't tested it yet!

1 hour ago, Zohd said:

Would be cool know a top 10, so i know if is "worth" loose more time in mapping or throw in the trash bin my map :ph34r:

^This and:

How judging works:

• Judging will be ran from September 19th to September 30th.
  • We'll have a public forum thread where anyone can vote for their favourite map.
  • We'll have community judges privately voting their top 3 maps as well.
  • Official judging will be done by Turbo Pixel, we'll take all votes into account and announce the winner on September the 28th.

Did the public vote ever happen or did I just miss it?

I never saw a public voting thread, I imagine it would have complicated the selection process but it would have been nice so more entries could have recieved feedback.

Nonetheless I'm very happy with the map winners. Congrats guys. Iron guard was an instant favorite for me as well.

32 minutes ago, Smilecythe said:

^This and:

How judging works:

• Judging will be ran from September 19th to September 30th.
  • We'll have a public forum thread where anyone can vote for their favourite map.
  • We'll have community judges privately voting their top 3 maps as well.
  • Official judging will be done by Turbo Pixel, we'll take all votes into account and announce the winner on September the 28th.

Did the public vote ever happen or did I just miss it?

Seems like the comp went in a very ug way instead, where only a handful of inside circle ppl were involved.

Can we more info about how the maps were judged ? Have you some specific criteria like item placement, balancing, running flow, tricks, global scale, ... and a grade for each? Or was it more about a global feeling ?

Making a map requires time, and just knowing that we are not in the top 3 for such an effort is kinda boring. Kovaak has already given some notes during his stream, which is cool, but a global ranking would be appreciated and really useful.

12 minutes ago, Delementary said:

I never saw a public voting thread, I imagine it would have complicated the selection process

Sure, but it was written in their own selection process schedule. Why imply consideration for public opinion to only not go through with it?

I'm really disappointed in how this competition was wrapped up, and I think the people who put in a lot of work into their submissions should at the very least get feedback. (this also goes for the top3) Sad to see that the public vote was completely thrown out the window, and there being no transparency on the judges' top3s and so on.

I can only imagine that the public vote was decided against due to possible vote manipulation? Multiple accounts, etc? I'm not sure. I completely agree with @promEUs and others; map authors who competed deserve to get some 'official' feedback from the devs and judges, now that the competition is over. For what it is worth, I just finished streaming and @bej and a few others joined in and we played 2v2 on Ironguard. It seems like a really nice map. Of course I haven't played any of the others yet, at least not recently. But it was fun :)

Feedback for the map authors would help them address the problems and polish up/improve the maps, so it would be rather remiss to not afford them that opportunity, considering the amount of effort involved.

I think the main problem with community voting is that the voters wouldnt have played nearly all of the maps and looked at them properly, this way only the most popular maps would get voted up. As for feedback to the map makers goes, specific feedback for thier maps would've been great, even just releasing the rating sheets (which i assume have been made) would be great feedback for the mappers and a reassurance that thier map has been looked at properly and actually given a place rather than "not top 3".

29 minutes ago, The Piep said:

I think the main problem with community voting is that the voters wouldnt have played nearly all of the maps and looked at them properly, this way only the most popular maps would get voted up.

There would of still been judges and they would've still done their job. I don't see why they wouldn't have.

Popular maps as opposed to what, unpopular maps?

1 hour ago, Smilecythe said:

There would of still been judges and they would've still done their job. I don't see why they wouldn't have.

Popular maps as opposed to what, unpopular maps?

Congratulations to all winners ! :)

Prom's Phobos and Def's Thermal Blast were most playtested maps. They were almost certenly would be at top.

Also voting would be just influence thing, since 2v2 is not much played anyway. Most maps would be judged by just running around. 

Judges playtested them properly (I hope).

If whole ratings of maps would be shown, it would be discuraging to continue mapping if your map was at the bottom of the list (ofc not for everyone).

2 hours ago, The Piep said:

I think the main problem with community voting is that the voters wouldnt have played nearly all of the maps and looked at them properly, this way only the most popular maps would get voted up.

Maybe. A small edit to explain this would have been enough...

1 minute ago, Grybzt said:

If whole ratings of maps would be shown, it would be discuraging to continue mapping if your map was at the bottom of the list (ofc not for everyone).

Not knowing will discurage far more to my mind... we are not children. This competition was a cool way to have a real feedback from good players. You don't give children grades (in my country) to not hurt their feelings, I think we are above this or ?

7 minutes ago, Tac said:

Not knowing will discurage far more to my mind... we are not children. This competition was a cool way to have a real feedback from good players. You don't give children grades (in my country) to not hurt their feelings, I think we are above this or ?

Well even winners didn't get more feedback. Only real feedback was Kovaak's streams.

If whole list was published and your map was on bottom. I don't know how much that "your map sucks" feedback would be useful.

• I think devs should release top 10 map lists. So people who were close and made decent maps could know that.

Also, let's check out how UT4 devs wrapped mapping comp. Devs don't have their podcast, but some text conclusions would be nice.

16 minutes ago, Grybzt said:

Also voting would be just influence thing, since 2v2 is not much played anyway.

It's the same thing whether a small group or a large group makes the vote. The judges voted their favorites, remember? So the result reflects what the judges found best, not necessarily what the rest of the community found best. People with their own servers and streams will always have their favorites, that'll always influence how much the maps gets exposure. It's never truly fair no matter which way you approach it. The way this one was handled out however only caters to preferences of a smaller group rather than a larger group.

31 minutes ago, Grybzt said:

Prom's Phobos and Def's Thermal Blast were most playtested maps. They were almost certenly would be at top.

We could have been able to tell for sure after a public vote.

11 hours ago, Jaguar said:

I can only imagine that the public vote was decided against due to possible vote manipulation? Multiple accounts, etc?

There's an easy solution for this: People vote their top 5 with forum replies with full transparency as opposed to anonymous poll voting. Monitoring multiple accounts would be easier and at the same time it would discourage people publicly voting for their own maps B-)

Good idea @Smilecythe - Also I think @The Piep makes a good point regarding the fact that public votes wouldn't have played every map, so arguably not a vote that counts. I'm not bothered anyway, I can see why the devs/judges did it this way - the only thing that I think should be done is giving all of the mappers who entered, feedback. Even if only briefly, but as mentioned before I think they deserve that. Feedback would ensure that future maps they make will be improved on.

1 hour ago, Jaguar said:

Also I think @The Piep makes a good point regarding the fact that public votes wouldn't have played every map, so arguably not a vote that counts.

I don't think it's such a good point, because it assumes that judges aren't skipping playtests on maps as well which I'm pretty sure some of them did. The lack of feedback on this thread doesn't help that assumption either. I don't blame the judges though, they did as good job as they could for free basically.

22 hours ago, Smilecythe said:

I don't think it's such a good point, because it assumes that judges aren't skipping playtests on maps as well which I'm pretty sure some of them did. The lack of feedback on this thread doesn't help that assumption either. I don't blame the judges though, they did as good job as they could for free basically.

Fair enough - it is a question of trust, right? I think my trust would lean towards the judges (presumably picked by the devs), rather than 'the public', so to speak. The judges would have been chosen for good reasons, I'm sure - trusted members of the community who are known to be impartial, I would think.

Anyway, I don't think I will discuss it any further. I certainly don't think the devs have done anything wrong, I'm sure they've learned from the situation, and hopefully the entrants will get feedback for their work.

@def I don't think there are demos but KovaaK did a stream which is on his youtube channel now, I think. There should be feedback in there.