Sign in to follow this  
Joe

Reflex Map Editor Tutorial

Just a few comments from an old-school mapper:

* It might be helpful to mention that another way to get rid of vertices, e.g. when creating a ramp, is to "hover over them" in vertex mode and simply delete them. (Unless that has been removed?)... Merging vertices on a grid to remove them, what seems to be happening in your video, is something that would make me nervous.

* Regarding snap distance: For older games like Q3A the snap distance choice had to do with optimizations in the map compile code (thus the multiples of 2, IIRC). I am not quite certain how far that still applies to Reflex. But as a good and still pertinent rule, try to use the largest grid you can for what you are doing. E.g. If you are blocking out a layout using a 64 unit grid for your main floors and walls etc. can help you avoid fiddling around with "small grid" blocks (brushes) early in the mapping process. This will help to quickly layout, only then go in and use smaller grid units on your details. Some old-school mapping tip there :). Q3A's GTKradiant also uses the 8 unit grid by default... and that has worked very well over the years. I still try to avoid using smaller grid sizes if possible.

* On rotating brushes, e.g. 45°: I am probably a burnt mapper... rotation of brushes used to be a huge issue when trying to properly align brushes i.e. when trying to make a map "watertight" for vis e.g. under Q3A. This is no longer an issue for Reflex, but rotating brushes will very quickly get the vertices off grid, and trying to then nicely align them, as in clean mapping that lets you fix things later, one I should avoid using rotating brushes copiously. For meshes, that will usually be "smashed" into geometry, this is not so much an issue though. Bottom line: the more you can stay on grid the easier it will be to change and edit things later on.

* Jumppad targets... the direction of the target entity is ignored, differing from the way the direction is important for teleporters. Just as a clarification, should anyone wonder.

* Use of clip brushes... it is a good idea to keep the clipping logical, i.e. when you add a mesh then make the clip pretty much as large as the mesh, that way the player can predict the extent of the clipping. Nothing is more confusing than when the clipping is very much larger for no apparent reason.

Nice tutorial... I have not mapped in Reflex for over a year, and the reminder of how things basically work it useful.

P.S. and off topic... what happened to the edit buttons for forum posts? I.e. set color, add links and the like?