Owl

Mutator combinations - Roboflectic Analasys of fun stuff

So, now with the glory of the mutators, there's a bunch of new possibilities. The sky is the limit, let your dreams become memes and so on. Since the patch dropped late and its time for me to go to bed (soon :tm: ), I figured I'd make this thread to wake up to, in hopes that I then can have some wicked fun when I wake up! I played basicly 5 minutes of all mutators and all low grav insta, and that was fun as hell,but I imagine people playing and exploring forward comes up with fun new ways to enjoy reflex. And also maps made with these in mind, now is the time to cater to people not practicing The Catalyst duels all day ;)

Lowgrav Race! 

Anyway, enough ranting, please post your findings people!

Well playing instagib on any map I want is pretty damn sweet, I have to say, and makes you think about maps and advantageous lines of sight. Love me some instagib, t'is easy and fun and I love that 'ding' noise so god damn much.

Vampire mutator seems really fun, enough of a twist to make you think and play differently. Surprise pays off really well because you need to dish out a lot of damage very quickly and avoid taking some, otherwise you just end up shooting each other and nothing happens. Also you run out of ammo a lot!!

Warmup mutator is great, something I posted about on reddit ages ago that it owuld be nice to have a mode for ffa where you start with weaponps and armour but items are still on the map, and someone pointed out that I basically wanted warm-up mode, as a mode. And now we have it!

Low gravity is always fun. Tried that on instagib and quickly came to the conclusion that you shouldn't jump. Pretty much ever! Way too easy to hit a target in the air!

Not tried handicap mutator yet but I really like the premise of it. It will be a nice bit of skill 'padding' for duels, I think. Not enough to mitigate total dominance but it  could really help, and for new players in FFA etc... good stuff!

Bighead mutator... well...

bighead.jpg

can't argue with that! Should help the game get some attention. This kind of harmless, daft sillyness is just fun!

I think I've missed one or two but, yeah, first impressions are great. I'm really hopeful that these mutators will make the game more appealing and fun for casuals and help retain players. We really need the mutators to show up prominently in the server browser though. Hopefully that will be in a hotfix soon.

12 hours ago, lolograde said:

Clearly lowgrav instagib ctf. Someone needs to make a proper map for that mutator gamemode.

Yeah, I had the same in mind ! I tried it and it feels maybe too slow. I wanna try to build a map with 2x2 flags to make it more dynamic.

31 minutes ago, Tac said:

Yeah, I had the same in mind ! I tried it and it feels maybe too slow. I wanna try to build a map with 2x2 flags to make it more dynamic.

Was thinking a space map w jump pads might make it faster.

20 hours ago, Jaguar said:

Bighead mutator... well...

bighead.jpg

can't argue with that! Should help the game get some attention. This kind of harmless, daft sillyness is just fun!

I think I've missed one or two but, yeah, first impressions are great. I'm really hopeful that these mutators will make the game more appealing and fun for casuals and help retain players. We really need the mutators to show up prominently in the server browser though. Hopefully that will be in a hotfix soon.

Bighead should maybe even be the standard. It looks a bit comically maybe, but it's not like that wouldn't fit in with the rest of the game. It shows off the cosmetics a lot better than the normal size head, giving people more of an incentive to get them, adjusting the hitbox to fit shouldn't be too hard either.

Joe, made a post on reddit, hopefully it will gather more ideas for mutators https://www.reddit.com/r/reflex/comments/5a5yr5/mutator_suggestions/

One idea I came up with (that to me seems to have more potential than my others) was to turn pickups into coins/points, perhaps except weapons. And basically you turn the game into getting scored for picking up items, and not for frags. The mutator/mode might then subtly train people to keep an eye out for items. Ofcourse the point system would need some balancing. Something like the 5-armor shards give 5 points, 100-YA gives 100 points, mega maybe double that to 200point etc, and whether you score points for frags I don't know. Rewarding people for grabbing items could change things up a bit, and also potentially help the less fragging players feel productive (depending on how it's balanced, a stacked player is probably going to dominate).

19 minutes ago, bej said:

Joe, made a post on reddit, hopefully it will gather more ideas for mutators https://www.reddit.com/r/reflex/comments/5a5yr5/mutator_suggestions/

One idea I came up with (that to me seems to have more potential than my others) was to turn pickups into coins/points, perhaps except weapons. And basically you turn the game into getting scored for picking up items, and not for frags. The mutator/mode might then subtly train people to keep an eye out for items. Ofcourse the point system would need some balancing. Something like the 5-armor shards give 5 points, 100-YA gives 100 points, mega maybe double that to 200point etc, and whether you score points for frags I don't know. Rewarding people for grabbing items could change things up a bit, and also potentially help the less fragging players feel productive (depending on how it's balanced, a stacked player is probably going to dominate).

That's an interesting idea mate. Especially if it oculd be balanced in such a way that you could emphasise movement over frags and just focus on running around timing everything :D II think in general, non 'shooting' modes could be quite fun and extend the life of a game. There's a lot of potential.

@seekax I think bighead is best as a mutator, personally! To me it is a bit of fun. I really like the current robot models :)

The complaint department was overwhelmed with comments of how easy it was to fall off map. So I've updated the map to make it harder to fall off the map. Now the gaps are filled in the "no lazery zone". 

5F76AA7D434C5043C6CC16C72A5CD9EC9514D6AB

Made the flags easier to swoop:

5F7B334A60C9D04DAA7740026F16648DFB7F7B6D

Added some jumppads INTO base to make it easier to get to base (rather than needing speed + ramp jump):

CD1AC3B40EE6D27E2F29A77D9205F14DEFE93997

Any feedback is appreciated, guys. I have a few last tweaks I want to make to the map tonight (if I have time). Going to clean up the jumppads, fix the geometry of that middle thing that says the base's team (noticed while publishing this morning that it's asymmetric :lol:), add some more floating pads in reasonable places, and some other small aesthetics. 

Edited by lolograde

some ideas:

• paintball: plasma only, no automatic fire, instagib, random color projectile/decals
  • looney toons: cartoon sound effects and gibs (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0TmmLNYbO0)
  • rats: 1/4 player model size
  • jetpacks: hold jump to fly
  • fat players: double player model width
  • mirror: flip map horizontally
  • matrix: projectile weapons only, 1/10 projectile speed (and longer projectile timeouts, obviously)
  • blades of glory: less friction

I've mostly played these 2 combos so far :

- CTF + warmup : It's a good alternative of FFA/ATDM. I mean, you can join, run and shoot. All weapons makes it casual and easy for beginners.

- CTF + Instagib : It's cool.

BigHead mutator is really fun.

The vamp mutator is interesting but too strong at the moment. It could be nice to restrict it to some weapons maybe.

I hope there will be many other mutators !