Purple Rain

Should I play this game?

On 11/15/2016 at 11:08 AM, /fragile said:

Yo @Purple Rain tell us what you think.Would be cool to get some insights from someone completely new in reflex.

I bought the game 3 days ago and I guess I am here to stay and help this community grow :)

Well first game I played, I got completely rektd. It was FFA so ye, everything was so fast, enemies were everywhere and like I mentioned previously, most of times I died because there are too many guns available and it was hard for me to choose the gun at the right moment. The most negative thing is that I really have experience in arena shooters but still I got rekt because it was hard to choose the guns because there are too many so in my opinion, we should be only able to add 3 guns + melee weapon to the loadout. That would be positive for this game because it would create different game play styles etc. By the way, I think that it's really negative because if an experienced player like me got rekt, I can't imagine what will happen to the new player in arena shooters. 

It also saddens me that this game kinda is a copy cat of Quake Live. We are in 2016, it's time to innovate. Quake Live surely was one of the best arena shooter but now if you play it, the servers are pretty much empty so ye it's time to innovate. I would also like to mention that I think that the admins should remove the maps that are copied from quake live because in the previous game I played, they also took a map that was in Quake Live and they received a copyright strike. 

After, I played in team elimination mode I think. I don't remember the name but it's a game mode where once you die, you spectate the others. I did really nice in that game but I still had the same problem of using the 8 guns for god sake PLZ 8 GUNS ITS TOO MUCH.

Yesterday, I also played a 1v1 where I got completely rekt too but it was fun, the people I met were really nice and well this community honestly is really really cool. Some of the guys I met even helped me and showed me some tricks etc. 

I have no idea how the admins of this game are but I hope that they do listen to the community because I can assure you this game has a lot of potential but the admins really need to listen to the community and be active. I saw all the mistakes that the other admins made in the previous game I used to play and I can assure you that the biggest one was to not listen to the community. The game had 6 servers (max. 1000 players) and in all 4 servers there were 500-600 players and in the end, there were only 3 servers and only European server had like 30 people. Just an example to show you that not listening to the community was really a big problem. (*hint i hope an admin reads this *hint :) )

Anyways, the only problem for me was the 8 guns thing and it saddened me that this game was kind a copy cat of Quake Live but I've read somewhere that the admins want to get rid of that reputation if I'm not mistaken so I'm looking forward to work with the community and meet new people to make this game a better game. I'll keep training and once I get used to the game I'll start recording some clips and make a little montage to promote this game to the other community I was part of. If any of you has clips that want to send me, send me a private message in here. (one of my ''one clip edits'' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDj4KWPvQPc ) 

I forgot to mention that it would be really cool if you could zoom with the "sniper" and have a black scope. 

Every gun has its purpose, you don't need to spend much time in the game to learn which weapon is appropriate to use in which situation. The main weapons to use are the Rocket Launcher at close-mid range, the Ioncannon at close range and the Boltrifle at long range. Plasma is used for movement, area denial and sometimes as a weaker Ioncannon alternative, Shotgun is mainly used in TDM and FFA as a weaker alternative to Ioncannon or as a close range finisher, Grenades for traps and area denial. Burstgun is the starting weapon, its only purpose is to not leave you completely defenseless on spawn. Removing any weapon from the game would take away a vital part of the gameplay.

The game is similar to QL, however it's a spiritual successor to the Quake 3 mod CPMA, there are a few differences, most noticeably in movement and the armor system. The maps you recognize from QL have been licensed, iD Software doesn't own them.

Getting wrecked in 1v1 as a new player is fairly normal, i never played the game you used to play, but it seems fairly different, so i wouldn't be surprised if not an awful lot of skills you gathered in that game carry over well. Reflex also amplifies the skill difference between players quite a bit, score differences in the double digits between fairly evenly matched players aren't uncommon.

Currently the game balance is being worked on by members of the community, so you can be sure that the community is being heard.

Of course I know that getting reckt as a new player it's normal, that's why I decided to stick around but I don't agree that each gun is vital for this game. All you need is 1 gun that you can use in close combat, another one in mid range combat and another one in long range, it's enough. And with 8 guns, you have different options for long range combat, different options for mid range and close range but I think it's unnecessary. Maybe I might be the only one that thinks this way but in my opinion, you should just be able to choose 3 guns in the beginning of each game instead of forcing players to use guns they don't like or don't need. 8 keys for 8 guns it's too much in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Purple Rain said:

I forgot to mention that it would be really cool if you could zoom with the "sniper" and have a black scope.

"Zoom" does not come as a default option in the game but there is an "Add on" available that includes zoom functionality. You could probably use the "Per Weapon Settings" add-on to customize your crosshairs to look like a black scope, if you wanted that. 

Just to second what @seekax said, the developers of Reflex are extremely receptive to community feedback. 

2 hours ago, Purple Rain said:

Of course I know that getting reckt as a new player it's normal, that's why I decided to stick around but I don't agree that each gun is vital for this game. All you need is 1 gun that you can use in close combat, another one in mid range combat and another one in long range, it's enough. And with 8 guns, you have different options for long range combat, different options for mid range and close range but I think it's unnecessary. Maybe I might be the only one that thinks this way but in my opinion, you should just be able to choose 3 guns in the beginning of each game instead of forcing players to use guns they don't like or don't need. 8 keys for 8 guns it's too much in my opinion. 

Choosing three weapons at the beginning of the match makes little sense since this is a pickup based game. Also you should play the game for a while and get acquainted with its mechanics before you claim that certain weapons are unnecessary. If you take a look at some higher level duels you will see that every gun is being utilized for different types of encounters, none of them are redundant. 8 keys for 8 weapons is also not a problem when you use a decent key layout. Personally i use R for Rockets, E for Ioncannon, R for Boltrifle, F for Plasma, C for Grenades, X for Melee, 1 for Burstgun and 2 for Shotgun. Every weapon can easily be reached.

Part of the charm of the amount of weapons is also that the weapons are tiered in a sense. (eg. plasma gun in combat is almost strictly worse than ion cannon) This usually shows through the map design of the better maps, as you'll have an easier time finding and gathering the weaker weapons (shotgun, grenades and plasma) and harder time with the stronger ones (Ion cannon, bolt and rockets) - now for duel maps, rockets are for the most part fairly easy to come by as well since the maps tend to be rather small and pretty much always contain 2rocket launchers.

As seekax mentioned, this all heavily plays into Reflex being a game balanced and centered around picking up items (It would be pretty boring to only have one type of armor pickup, right?)

I find it hard to agree with you seekax haha. It's hard for me to explain since I don't know the name of each gun but with 8 guns, you will probably have 2 or 3 that have the same function. By that I mean that with 8 guns you have 2 or 3 guns that can be used in close range, 2 or 3 that can be used in mid range and 2 or 3 that can be used in long range and that just doesn't make sense to me. I'm not saying that the admins should remove some guns. It's just that this game has different type of maps and each player should adapt his play style in the different maps. Like, people will tend to use a sniper in a bigger and open map and use shotgun or cannon in a small map. So in my opinion, each person should adapt his playing style in each map and choose carefully his guns before a game. Everyone has his preferences let's not lie. Even if you DO use all the guns, there's probably 3 or 4 guns that you use the most. Anyways I will keep playing this game and record some game plays and I will try to understand your point of view because there are chances that mine is wrong but at this moment, I don't really see newcomers that never played an arena shooter sticking around because experienced players have an huge advantage with all the strafing experience, and the experience you guys have to manage 8 guns. And don't forget that not everyone is willing to use the forums and learn more about the keys you guys use to manage 8 guns :P.  And in my opinion everyone pretty much has the same playing style and it kinda sucks. Maybe I am wrong, maybe I am not but we shall see. 

Actually there's not too much overlap. The weapons are divided between whether they're hitscan (instant hit detection) or projectile based. Hitscan means that when you press "fire", either your hit is instant or it misses.

There's four hitscan weapons (bolt rifle, ion cannon, shotgun, and melee) and four projectile (rockets, grenades, plasma gun, and burst gun). For each projectile weapon, the projectile speed is different (plasma being the fastest and grenades being the slowest). Across both hitscan and projectile weapons, the "reload" speed is also different for each weapon which adds another layer to how the weapon can be effectively used and how you need to aim the weapon.

Furthermore, each weapon has different attributes like splash damage (or no splash), knock back, etc..

Because of these differences, each weapon has it's own niche. Aiming with each weapon is different and more (or less) effective in certain situations. Each requires a different way of aiming -- like how to effectively aim a rocket launcher is A LOT different than aiming or bolt rifle. Because of this, some weapons are intrinsically more aggressive, some are more defensive, and some a neutral balance. 

It might be hard to understand initially, but there's real nuance to the mechanics of each weapon that makes each unique.

Edited by lolograde

You can also see weapons as skills. In many games (Dota-like, Overwatch,...) each hero has 4-5 skills + some usable items and it doesn't seem to be a problem. In Reflex you have only 1 "hero" so 8 weapons shouldn't be too many. At the opposite, everything is hard for beginners, even movements are really complex, so learning the weapons can't be seen as the first step ? I can understand that you feel confuse right now, but the whole game is different from classic shooters. If a beginner wants to get into Reflex and can't get the 8 weapons in a few games (by "get" I mean which weapon shoots what), it's going to be really hard for him. Making the game easier or at least less complex will kill it for sure.

3 hours ago, Purple Rain said:

And don't forget that not everyone is willing to use the forums and learn more about the keys you guys use to manage 8 guns :P.  

There is a learning section in game, with some interesting videos, and also some training maps. But you got a valid point, there is nothing about bindings. Some proposals with the most commons binds would be great for new players.

3 hours ago, Purple Rain said:

And in my opinion everyone pretty much has the same playing style and it kinda sucks. Maybe I am wrong, maybe I am not but we shall see. 

You are wrong : ) but that's normal because you are new. Every player got his own style, habbits, movs, tricks, aiming skill, dodging skill. So many things to learn and master !

Personally I don't see much difference between each players playstyles. Reflex allows a bit more freedom than QuakeLive because of faster weaponswitch and more agile movement but in the end all players are forced to focus their playstyles around armors and it's rather unlikely to be successful in the game without controling armors.

Another point on which I agree with Purple Rain is that different players have different weapon preferences. Reflex has a tiered weapon system and (how i see it) it was a design decision to have some weaker and some stronger weapons. It's ok. And I like that Reflex has big emphasis on projectile based combat (strong and very available rockets). That however sometimes makes lower tier weapons seem useless sometimes. Tiered weapons in this game force players to play and master the most effective weapons in the game (imo Rockets and GL.. depending on ruleset and map, you can also count Bolt and IC as powerful weapons). I like Reflex Rocketlauncher gameplay and I think it's cool to be able to easily get one. On the other hand I don't like how some weapons (PG and SG) are less available and lower tier than Rockets. Also the spawn weapon is super useless.

I think this could be fixed by making all weapons eaqually good (make stake and bursgun normal pickups and give all weapons nearly the same effectiveness / same tier), make melee the only spawnweapon and make all weapons available on all maps. Each weapon should be available only once.. and slightly increase respawn time (15 seconds?) for weapons. Like this players really had to decide which weapons they want to go for.

Or.. if gameplay should stay Rocket-heavy (because Rocketjumps are cool), we were also able to slightly nerf Rocket-damage and make RL spawnweapon. Strong burst and stakeguns could replace Rocketlauncher pickups on maps.