Jump to content
jtmuk

Still struggling with some jumps

Recommended Posts

I've watched a few video tutorials but I still have some difficulties mainly with :

- Circle jumps : I can't do more than 380 distance jumps on the training maps, and even 380 is a struggle. Is it all down to finding the correct speed of mouse turn ? What are the best widgets to help get it down ? And should the mouse movement be purely left to right or up and down as well ? I see a lot of videos where people seem to do a slight "U" with the mouse  rather than straight side to side and it seems to help me a bit too but not sure if it's necessary.

- Tele jumps : can't get these right, for instance on z0_beta in the tele jump room. Should it be a jump followed by a very quick circle jump ? It seems that using the strafe keys actually slows my jumps down and I have better results with holding forward, jumping, turning the mouse and jumping again ( no strafing at all ) but I still miss 90% of the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, jtmuk said:

I've watched a few video tutorials but I still have some difficulties mainly with :

- Circle jumps : I can't do more than 380 distance jumps on the training maps, and even 380 is a struggle. Is it all down to finding the correct speed of mouse turn ? What are the best widgets to help get it down ? And should the mouse movement be purely left to right or up and down as well ? I see a lot of videos where people seem to do a slight "U" with the mouse  rather than straight side to side and it seems to help me a bit too but not sure if it's necessary.

- Tele jumps : can't get these right, for instance on z0_beta in the tele jump room. Should it be a jump followed by a very quick circle jump ? It seems that using the strafe keys actually slows my jumps down and I have better results with holding forward, jumping, turning the mouse and jumping again ( no strafing at all ) but I still miss 90% of the time.

Circle jumping is pretty much all about finding the correct rate of turn. I don't think there are any widgets to help you do them, although there is one that tracks your last jump so you get some feedback. Not used it though. It should only be left/right, but I think some people find c-jumps easier if they look down a bit during the turn. I think it helps because you can see the pattern on the ground and use that to help you turn exactly 90 degrees.

Tele jumps - not played z0_beta, just parkourstation (which I highly recommend!), you can do both. By jumping 'out' of the tele, you get the double jump speed boost (if you jumped just before entering the tele and jumped again within 400ms). If you do a circle jump out of the tele, you'll go even farther.

Hopefully you are already on Discord and a bunch of friendly folks will have helped you by now! Give parkourstation a go, it helped me a lot learning the movement aspect of this game :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks ! I like your videos btw, they've been very helpful :)

It seems indeed that most maps require circle jump after the tele, I've managed to improve those a bit last night, while z0_beta is all about jump-mouseturn-jump which I find harder as there is very little time to do the correct turn.

Re c-jumps If it's all about finding the correct rate of turn then I guess there's nothing else for me to do than practice practice practice :) 

I will give parkourstation a go.

Btw how does one get the ReflexPickups bot to send notifications on discord ? I've linked my steam account but it still doesn't post me when I join a game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the widget that Jaguar talked about. And I think it's kind of good because it shows your UPS before and after your jump in color. But it all comes down to practis. I don't really know if you are enable to do a longer cricle then 420 thou. 

reflexpickup command !subscribe I think ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing you could try is if its more natural to you to make circle jumps using only forward or only left/right. Some people have found forward to be easier with stair jumps and I know a couple TF2 players that have preferred left/right only.

The traditional left/right+forward style is the most popular technique, but not the only one. Here's some crude examples of different techniques:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Progressing slowly... Practicing some of the harder jumps can feel like hard work / brainfvck after a while, eventually I find myself moving my whole body trying to get that extra meter in the game... lol

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lowering my sensitivity further and a lot of practice on Reflex Training has yielded some improvements. 

But biting the bullet and rebinding jump to mouse2 was a bit of a revelation last night, suddenly all the jumps became easier, though the urge to press spacebar is still strong.

Not sure what to bind that big spacebar to now. :) But I'm staying with mouse2 for jumps from now on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, jtmuk said:

Lowering my sensitivity further and a lot of practice on Reflex Training has yielded some improvements. 

But biting the bullet and rebinding jump to mouse2 was a bit of a revelation last night, suddenly all the jumps became easier, though the urge to press spacebar is still strong.

Not sure what to bind that big spacebar to now. :) But I'm staying with mouse2 for jumps from now on.

Glad to hear you've been making progress and hopefully having fun in the process! I guess you can now use spacebar, and maybe left alt, for weapon select keys? Means you don't have to take your fingers off the movement keys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks ! I'm indeed enjoying myself a lot, it's quite addictive.

 Yeah I might use the spacebar for the bolt rifle, I'll give myself a few days to stop pressing it accidentally first :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/14/2016 at 5:45 AM, Jaguar said:

Circle jumping is pretty much all about finding the correct rate of turn.

Actually, a big part of circle jumping is also correctly airstrafing after. You could do a perfect circle jump but then not airstrafe, and you won't be able to clear any of the harder gaps. This is why I think a strafe bar widget helps in learning how to cj.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sharqosity said:

Actually, a big part of circle jumping is also correctly airstrafing after. You could do a perfect circle jump but then not airstrafe, and you won't be able to clear any of the harder gaps. This is why I think a strafe bar widget helps in learning how to cj.

Yes that's a revelation I've had along the way.

That being said I'm not  sure whether the strafe bar widget is always correct as sometimes I seem to get more speed air strafing if I don't try to follow it ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reflex is about skill. You get the skill if you play the game. My point is just play the game learn the movement itself, Trust me. I am old doom player, there is not some difficult movement in doom. And i noticed in reflex just learning some jumps and movement and being upset bcz i am not doint them right and shit is just bad. There are tutorials for movement yeah, you can study them its not bad. But after all only important is just play the game. Even when the movement seems be difficult and you are watching the videos on yt and you are like i cant do this, trust me just play the game. Everyone has its your own unique movement. My point is just play the game, focus how you get fast. how you win the game and this is it :). Try some jumps during duels for important items. You will see you learn something soon. Everyone has your own movement...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/11/2016 at 3:00 PM, Sharqosity said:

Actually, a big part of circle jumping is also correctly airstrafing after. You could do a perfect circle jump but then not airstrafe, and you won't be able to clear any of the harder gaps. This is why I think a strafe bar widget helps in learning how to cj.

I always think of them as separate. As soon as you take off then airstrafing afterwards controls your acceleration, but your initial circle jump is the speed when you jump. Do both of those things well and you'll be flying along! Good point though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks GoneM4d and Jaguar for the tips and ParkourStation teaching session last night ! Was fun and very helpful.

I have to say this game has the best community I've experienced thanks to guys like you !

Regarding circle jumps I've found this video in another thread. I found it quite helpful as I hadn't realised that for the longer jumps you need 120 degrees of rotation rather than just 90.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm keeping this updated with my progress both for my own reference and for other new players who might be going through the same process.

I've found that actively trying to fly in a circle arc in the air helps a lot with circle based jumps especially tele jumps. In particular that means that when landing you should be facing the edge at more than a 90 degree angle. Thinking about the jump this way makes me have much smoother mouse movement and works much better than trying to jump straight at 90 degrees after running in a small circle on the ground.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×