Sharqosity

What's your playstyle?

my playstyle right now is very aim-based... control just happens by chance, while trying to track the opponent down.

I do try to activate the thinking part of my brain while ingame more, but it seems to slow me down quite a bit, at least in the beginning. And I'm already outrun by most players...

Edit: And not to forget, nasty pre-fired rockets. ;)

Not probably true in Reflex, but is what I do in CPMA/Xonotic:

Duel: Aggressive against +backers when in control, super +back when out of control lol

TDM: Reserving armor for team mates when in control, aggressive when out of control - surprisingly many people run after you when you're low on HP which distracts them from picking up armor/health. 

CTF: Heavily stacked defense, can usually catch up/outrun anyone who steals the flag. 

My style is based on item control. From there, I adapt depending on my opponent and how the match is going. If I feel confident in my aim (where my aim > opponent's aim), I will follow Cooller's Law, "know when to be aggressive and when not to be aggressive", which means that when I'm in control, I play as relentlessly aggressive as possible, trying to suffocate my opponent of all resources and opportunities. If I'm having an off day, feeling sloppy with aim/movement, then I will rely more on items and defensive play. If I'm too tired to aim, move, or even think properly, I usually just hang around the nearest health bubbles while I lose. :lol:

I think the CPM players I most admired (and tried to imitate) were Vamp1re and Apheleon.

Vamp1re because he was a god with movement and rocket jumps, moving around maps in a way that looked hypnotic -- long, flowing archs at high speed, clipping through every corner on Use and Abused (cpm3a). It was a weird mix of zen and ruthless carnage while speccing him -- he made it look effortless. He was also the first player I remember seeing who would use the LG aggressively, attacking with the LG versus an enemy with RL. That was rather novel back in 2005-2006 but became more common in the later years of CPM.

Apheleon was also a big influence on me because he was on another level with the meta-game. He always had new tricks, feigning and bluffing, to either retain map control or throw you off your own map control. He would run past health bubbles to give you the impression he had more health than he did or would fake waiting on armors that he already had to throw off your timing. He'd pick up a single armor shard to give you a piece of information and then quickly ninja to the other side of the map. It sounds silly but, during the flow of a match, it's these little bits of information that influence decision making and Apheleon was a god at this sort of strategic trickery. Plus, when he was in shape, his rocket aim was insane.

Edited by lolograde

10 hours ago, lolograde said:

My style is based on item control. From there, I adapt depending on my opponent and how the match is going. If I feel confident in my aim (where my aim > opponent's aim), I will follow Cooller's Law, "know when to be aggressive and when not to be aggressive", which means that when I'm in control, I play as relentlessly aggressive as possible, trying to suffocate my opponent of all resources and opportunities. If I'm having an off day, feeling sloppy with aim/movement, then I will rely more on items and defensive play. If I'm too tired to aim, move, or even think properly, I usually just hang around the nearest health bubbles while I lose. :lol:

I think the CPM players I most admired (and tried to imitate) were Vamp1re and Apheleon.

Vamp1re because he was a god with movement and rocket jumps, moving around maps in a way that looked hypnotic -- long, flowing archs at high speed, clipping through every corner on Use and Abused (cpm3a). It was a weird mix of zen and ruthless carnage while speccing him -- he made it look effortless. He was also the first player I remember seeing who would use the LG aggressively, attacking with the LG versus an enemy with RL. That was rather novel back in 2005-2006 but became more common in the later years of CPM.

Apheleon was also a big influence on me because he was on another level with the meta-game. He always had new tricks, feigning and bluffing, to either retain map control or throw you off your own map control. He would run past health bubbles to give you the impression he had more health than he did or would fake waiting on armors that he already had to throw off your timing. He'd pick up a single armor shard to give you a piece of information and then quickly ninja to the other side of the map. It sounds silly but, during the flow of a match, it's these little bits of information that influence decision making and Apheleon was a god at this sort of strategic trickery. Plus, when he was in shape, his rocket aim was insane.

*Takes notes*

My thought process is based on control, and how likely it is for me to maintain/regain/break control if i do X.

I play a very ferocious style, always thinking about damaging my opponent and doing the unexpected. Despite being very aggressive, my style is quite calculated and is rarely dependent on aim.

When in control I try to focus on trapping and containing my opponent, limiting their options. I know that they will want to avoid as much damage as possible, so i try to force them into a situation where they have no option but to take the fight.

I try not to over extend when in control, it's easy to drag yourself out of position and give away a free yellow, or even a red. For me it's all about controlled aggression when in control, and somewhat wild but calculated aggression when control is split. I used to get control then rush like a maniac, but i realised thats stupid. It's hard to gain control, and to throw most of your stack away after blindly rushing your opponent is a massive waste. The next rotation you will be even/slightly bigger stack than your opponent, and anyone can win control then.

When out of control i try to read my opponents movements and focus most of my attention on the rotation and timing of all the items. I know my opponent will want to keep control as long as possible, and they have the stack to bully me away from items. When out of control i pick my engagements very carefully and try to rotate around the map in conjunction with my opponent. I try to be as aggressive as possible, without exposing myself too much... I think about what armour i will try to get, and how i'm going to get it.

I think about what route my opponent will take, and what weapon they will use to attack the armour.  Then i think about what position i should be in to take/deal damage on the armour. If i get the armour or deal alot of damage on the armour then control will be split and i can start working on gaining full control.

I "play like a bitch (c) Rama" "cheap with free damage (c) TfC" "most annoying player (c) big joe"

mostly cos i like to spam plasma. essentially, my aim and control are pretty awful cos im old, stupid and have no brain (dont do drugs kids). i do have a fair bit of experience though, so im able to predict players and the paths they will take/how they will move attack etc. 

when ooc i will tend to play relatively slow when im going to contest an item or i want to with rocket and plasma traps, when in control, i play like a retard, so ill get some spawn frags, make a positioning/cycling mistake and go back to neutral.

My style is generally pretty flexible, by which I mean, I randomly go super aggressive and get raped by spam nades or super defensive and get choked out of all items. Also probably the player who knows the least amount of trick jumps (still can't do stairs to mega on Catalyst reliably).

I was over thinking duel way too much.  I noticed if I stopped playing like CS and go aggressive when stacked or nominally stacked, I do a lot better.  Similarly, doing the slow quiet thing wasn't working either when moving to and fro.  Moving about, jumping around like a maniac got me much better gains.  But at my pathetic level doing the obvious aggression when it's right to do aggression (not on a spawn) just worked.  So basically the less I thought, the better the result.

I play way too much FFA to figure out the proper ebb and flow of duel.  A couple months of dueling, I think I'd be quite a bit better.  Maybe even slightly competitive.

Timing isn't an issue at all.  Got that on lockdown.  I just never really got in the competitive mindset to actually bother with it too much.

I have a lot watched QL duels since maybe 2009. Watched also these great noctis quake analysis. But i never played this much QL. Reflex is more fast paced than QL, which more fits to me. I am from doom comeptition you know and i was duel enthusiast there always. Reflex is similar with doom  2 duel in fast action and fast frags. And this are also my tactics. Trying to get some good weapon RL or IC and try to kill enemy fast how possible and try to get back control on the map. But there are maps like pocket infinity or simplicity you can afford play slower. But when i have map control. I am trying to go with longest strike how much possible. :D Bcz its the easiest frags but also most fun for me. :) 

Interesting thread :)

I don't think I have played against a diverse enough group of duel partners to actually have an identifiable play style. Also I'm still new in the game so I don't know all the maps and every intricacy. But from my enthusiasm for watching professional QuakeIII and QL (and more recently of course, Reflex) duels, I have some reference at least for how to improve my game. 

In general, I try to stay in control and only rush down the opponent when I'm fully stacked and confident. At the same time, I try to keep tabs on what stack I think my opponent has. I try to stay away from fights that I am not equipped for and when ooc, I try to be especially aware of my opponent's movements. I base my movements on a combination of what my opponent is doing, and which item I need to be getting. I've noticed that I can be a bit too full of bravado when I'm fully stacked, in control and going for the red. 

With split control, I try to do as much damage as I can without opening myself up, in order to choke my opponent out of going for a major item. 

I don't bounce around at hyperspeed all the time without pause, but I also don't play a completely slow and quiet game. Somewhere in between, depending on what I think is appropriate. I like this, but I think I will have to learn to adapt to a wider range of opponents... I remember a particularly horrific stomping one day on Toxitiy back in QL, from an opponent who had a hyperspeed-bouncy style that I just could not keep up with. 

It feels like I'm starting to develop a calmer demeanour when I do get fragged or when my game is thrown ooc. This way my game is becoming a bit more calculated, I think. I like to play a tiny bit of aim game too, but my aim, dodge and trick jumping all need a lot of work.