lolograde

[IDEA] Race Mode Needs Some Lovin'

This is just an idea, not an announcement. Feel free to give some feedback.

Race mode needs some tournament love. I am suggesting a double-whammy: A combined map-making and a race tournament. Here's how it might work:

• Week 1: Mappers get 1 week to produce an all new race map. 
  • Weeks 2-?: Racers get 1 week to achieve the best time on each map. If there are 4 maps entered, then the deadline for the best times will be 4 weeks from the start of the tournament.
  • Final Week: Following the race tournament, all racers get to rank order the maps.

The best ranked map wins. The racer with the lowest combined time on all maps wins.

Mapper Rules:

1. Map must be uploaded and available via the workshop by <date>.
  2. Map must be new (not previously uploaded to the workshop). It may not be a reworked/altered version of a previously uploaded map. Unfinished maps that a mapper decides to finish and upload for the purpose of this tournament is allowed
  3. Mappers can submit only one map for the purposes of the tournament.
  4. The map cannot be updated/changed after the deadline date. It must be finalized. Any changes/updates will lead to disqualification of the map. Please make sure your map is bug/issue free before the deadline!
  5. The words "RACE MODE LOVIN'" need to be present and visible somewhere on the map.
  6. Entries into the tournament must be listed by the mappers on the relevant tournament thread.

Racer Rules:

1. All race times must be uploaded via Brandon's race leaderboard addon.
  2. Only default (non-experimental) movement ruleset is allowable. The use of adjusted movement physics will result in disqualification.
  3. Any attempts to use adjusted movement physics, fake times, or cheat with the use of scripts/macros/game-genie, will result in disqualification. 
  4. Racers are only allowed to compete once (duh).
  5. If possible, please save your replays. 
Edited by lolograde

This is a great idea! I've talked about holding a race tournament before and how it would be nice to have at least one new map for it; holding a race mapping tournament to complement it is perfect. And I've been considering making a race map..!

A marked replay for race times would be a step above using the leaderboard addon, but not necessary - although it would be really nice. In fact I would encourage racers to capture video/record locally/race on a server that has replays as well, regardless.

I don't think the ruleset matters anymore - 47.3 put the wallclipping change in all rulesets. As far as I am aware I don't think there are any other relevant changes regarding racing and rulesets?

I would also add that, regarding mapping rules, it would be nice to enforce some basic rules like requiring at least one route that is beginner friendly. Yes, this is more work for the mapper, but I really believe this needs to be a thing for race mode to gain popularity. Speaking as a relative newcomer who came in not knowing how to bunny hop, the number of race maps that are not beginner friendly is quite high, and I find it frustrating even now I've gained some skill. So a sort of loose requirement in that area would be nice. As I recall, newborn's race map guide somewhere in this forum encourages this very thing. The Mustard Tiger is a nice example of a map that you can basically w+jump through but also has lots of nice routes and shortcuts for more advanced racers. The Edge Abyss is nice in this regard too.

Lastly, perhaps the winning map could get an official art pass from the community and/or the developers...?That'd be cool :D

Anyway. I'd love this to happen, and will promote it as best I can!

4 minutes ago, Jaguar said:

I don't think the ruleset matters anymore - 47.3 put the wallclipping change in all rulesets. As far as I am aware I don't think there are any other relevant changes regarding racing and rulesets?

I mean that someone could alter the movement physics if they have the access to the experimental plus testing (like myself), they could change the physics in such a way to make them move faster.

Just now, lolograde said:

I mean that someone could alter the movement physics if they have the access to the experimental plus testing (like myself), they could change the physics in such a way to make them move faster.

Ahhh, I see. Good point :)

22 hours ago, lolograde said:
  • Week 1: Mappers get 1 week to produce an all new race map. 
  • Week 2: Racers get 1 week to achieve the best time on each map. Following the race tournament, all racers get to rank order the maps.

I like the idea, but the time frame is a problem imo.

Just one week for a race map is not enough, at least for me. I would give it 3 or 4 weeks.

And lets say 5 people make a race map, 1 week is not enough for making  satisfying times on all maps. I would need at least 1 week for one map, maybe more.

20 minutes ago, Monti said:

I like the idea, but the time frame is a problem imo.

Just one week for a race map is not enough, at least for me. I would give it 3 or 4 weeks.

And lets say 5 people make a race map, 1 week is not enough for making  satisfying times on all maps. I would need at least 1 week for one map, maybe more.

Yep, I agree. Should've thought of that. Still one week for mappers and then 3 or 4 weeks for racers? 

Personally I think 1week for getting times per map is fine. Enough to get good times without dragging out the tournament etc. 

depending on the map quality, 1 week would also be enough in my mind if planned ahead properly. There's obviously an issue since you couldn't announce it ahead of time (to avoid premade maps) - imho the only reasonable criteria for the maps should be that it's a new map, and then drop the small timeframe. This allows people to finish unreleased projects without being disqualified (which you can't really monitor anyway) 

doing the tourny in a zlive dfwc fashion on stream would also be really cool so that there is more of an 'event' tied to the tournament.

my 2c

I agree, the way that DFWC was covered was quite good. A difference between this format and DFWC, though, is that all the maps would be available at the same time and racers can pick and choose which map they want to concentrate on. So there's a bit less structure than the DFWC format in that regard. For DFWC, the maps were released in rounds.

We could do something like that for the format but it'd require coordination between the mappers and making sure the mappers can absolutely commit to having their maps uploaded in a given week. If not, I suppose we could say other mappers should be prepared to swap weeks with another in case there's schedule issues. Would everyone be okay with that?

Just as an example (with made up dates):

• 4 February 2017: Promeus's map is uploaded.
  • 10 February 2017: Race deadline for Promeus's map. 
  • 11 February 2017: Lolograde's map is uploaded
  • 17 February 2017: Race deadline for Lolograde's map.
  • Etc.
Edited by lolograde

Is this topic still alive? I'm wondering if anyone would like to volunteer to be a mapper for this competition. @promEUs@Monti, @Tsarenir, @iigle, @Kawumm, @brandon, @MAD_JIHAD

Mappers would get 3-4 weeks to make your maps (or however much time you need). We'd need to agree on a schedule for when the maps need to be published to the workshop. One map is published per week, racers get one week to make their best times, the times are recorded at the deadline (and probably saved to Google docs so people can see) and the next map is uploaded.

I'd be willing to make a map or two for the competition, given enough time. 

I think a week is enough time for runners to get their times in, and all times should be submitted as replays to the council. Extra points if somebody does a ZLive style stream showing off the maps and runs for each round, that'd really put it over the top.

Seems more a hotlap thing than an actual race.  Make maps that you can't die on, and actually hold races.  Maybe 10 races per map, live, vs each other.

This of course complicates many things, but it seems like fun.

It is a hot lap format, you get a window of time to post your fastest time on the maps released, once that window is up, you move onto the next map. The idea is to follow (mostly) the DeFrag World Cup format.

Actual, live races would be very... unorthodox, as well as largely uninteresting as each player improves at a different rate, and a live, side-by-side race could be determined literally from the circlejump of the players. This way is time tested and fair for those involved, as a week gives each player enough time, life permitting, to practice/route find as much as they choose before trying to grind a demo for their best time. Further, race players like to see the best racers/defraggers post ridiculous times at ridiculous speeds doing ridiculous tricks, and this is the biggest appeal of the DFWC and this format, which you can only get if you give the players enough time to practice enough.

Ideally, the interest would be built from the maps, as each map should have varying themes and playstyles (i.e. pure speed strafe compared to skill jumps) as well as lengths and difficulty. If you go through some DFWC archives, you can find some great examples of what I mean by map variety.

Here's three pretty good examples,