Skaarj

Integrated pickups

TDM and CTF matches are almost nonexistent in Reflex. I believe there is simple reason for this - they just don't work in publics. Players are constantly joining and leaving, while in ATDM it's not big deal, TDM and  CTF suffer a lot from this. There's always one guy attacking teammates. Long weapon respawn in TDM is confusing for new players, CTF is never organised, there's like 4 attackers in one team, 3 attackers and guys shooting teammates in other. 

Solution for all those problems are pickup games obviously but they are also flawed. Most players don't even know what it is and how to add and they are mostly dominated by cpma/reflex veterans. Playing against them can be intimidating for begginers. Huge majority of those players are helpfull and friendly but being cannon fodder is still moderately fun.

So, I think we need something like pickups but integrated into game. Big buttons: PLAY CTF, PLAY TDM, PLAY 2v2 and noobfriendly, mandatory training for each gamemode.

This could work well with upcoming matchmaking (if it's not part of it already, in this case this post is pointless.).

Isn't this matchmaking? And I absolutely agree -- If folks had an easy way to queue up for a given game mode, instead of waiting in a server for enough players to join, that'd be a lot more efficient. Moreover, if there's more than 1 game's worth of people queueing up, then making sure that the appropriate players are separated by skill level so that 8 newer players can play CTF in one game and the 8 more experienced players can play another.

Right now, the only organized way of getting pickups going is via Discord or IRC. Most new players don't want to bother with that extra. And if you look at popular games, they're just like what you said: there are buttons within the game to queue up for a given game mode. 

Some better training for the modes would be good. Massmans CTF guide is a good start but you shouldn't really have to go to an third party source to get that info. And even if you get that info. You don't really have a practicesession before the real deal.

If you fire up dota2s training section they go thou the game one step at the time. Something like that would be gold.

Pickups are dead. If you put together a pug of new players you can pretty easily be isolated from higher level players. That said, next update includes matchmaking. As for training, well we have a training mode in-game as well as workshop guides. It's pretty obvious dev time is very limited, so if you see an issue you could be capable of fixing (like a lack of tutorials) then you're going to see much faster results doing it yourself

2 minutes ago, Skaarj said:

Well, I guess you're right. Somehow I got impression it will be focused mostly on 1v1.

I hope not. Really looking forward to playing a lot more team games once MM is added. It'll be less of a headache than sitting around in Discord waiting for a match to start. I really hope it also doesn't stop someone from playing other matches. Like, if I can queue up for a CTF game and then go and start playing 1v1 or Race while I wait for game to be ready, that'd be $$$.

@shooter, I hope you can clarify a bit whether MM is going to be only 1v1? Also, will one be able to queue and then go play on a server while they wait for a game to start?

4 minutes ago, lolograde said:

I really hope it also doesn't stop someone from playing other matches. Like, if I can queue up for a CTF game and then go and start playing 1v1 or Race while I wait for game to be ready, that'd be $$$.

I was thinking same thing. But on the other hand it would be really annoying if third guy in a row quits duel midgame because his TDM is ready. Nothing against racing during queue. Or players matched for upcoming game could be just thrown into server for warmup FFA until all players are in.

8 minutes ago, Skaarj said:

I was thinking same thing. But on the other hand it would be really annoying if third guy in a row quits duel midgame because his TDM is ready. Nothing against racing during queue. Or players matched for upcoming game could be just thrown into server for warmup FFA until all players are in.

Ah, yea, good point. I guess there's a downside to it. 

1 hour ago, Eldrek said:

It's pretty obvious dev time is very limited, so if you see an issue you could be capable of fixing (like a lack of tutorials) then you're going to see much faster results doing it yourself

I'm not qualified.

1 hour ago, Eldrek said:

If you put together a pug of new players you can pretty easily be isolated from higher level players.

To be absolutely honest, I don't mind it at all. Give them some time and they become high level players.