Sign in to follow this  
A. Benz

Lobby System or not?

Lobby servers or a more classic matchmaking?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What lobby system do you prefer? A more SC2/CSGO/LoL/Dota2-Style matchmaking system or a more Shootmania/Reflex-Style one?

• Classic Matchmaking System
    • Reflex Matchmaking System
    • Rocket-League-Like System

Hello,

what kinda matchmaking system do you prefer?

A more classic one as we see in CSGO/SC2/DOTA/LoL or a lobby system as we have in Shootmania/Reflex?

Explanations:

Classic: you opt-in and simply wait, can't play while queuing

rocket-league-like: you opt-in and are free to do whatever you want

Personally i think a rocket-league-like system would be the best as it allows you to do whatever you want.

Regards

I prefer the Overwatch method. Allows me to skirmish while in queue, or I can just disable skirmish and alt-tab out of the game when I'm in queue and wait for the queue to pop.

I guess my vote would be cast more towards the Reflex style, I'd just like the ability to opt-out of a warmup/matchmaking lobby

1 minute ago, Nathan said:

I prefer the Overwatch method. Allows me to skirmish while in queue, or I can just disable skirmish and alt-tab out of the game when I'm in queue and wait for the queue to pop.

I guess that falls under the "rocket-league-like" category.

57 minutes ago, AwesomeAndy said:

Or maybe a hybrid? It throws you into a lobby server by default like it is now, but you could then join for example a race server until the match is ready, if you so choose.

I do like the lobby system, but it only works if others want to participate in it. I think in this instance, giving players options is the best thing - it'd be nice to chill in a race server for a while or join an existing game, whilst being queued in the background.

Also it is really, really weird being on a 1v1 map with 6 other players and they're all idle/afk :P

For me it's the most important to only have competetive duel, tdm, doubles and ctf in MM. i think it would make it easier (reduce wait time) to queue for team based modes. Imo the server browser with all it's workshop, mudator and voting support is already ideal for casual unranked play (FFA, ATDM,A1v1,Instsgib etc.)

I'd rather be able to queue up, join any server I want, and then get the pop-up when a match is ready. 

Since this can create situations where people might tend to decline a match, there should be some minor penalty like they're kicked out of MM queue and cannot re-queue for 60 minutes. If they repeatedly decline matches (like 3 in a row), they're docked 25 ELO and cannot re-queue for 1 hour. 

I am frequently idle in lobby server as well, while waiting for a match. I think in the future the problem will eliminate itself when thousands of players are playing the game (hopefully) so that we don't need to wait for 10 minutes for a match and waiting in a lobby server or joining a race would be irrelevant. In CS:GO or StarCraft 2 you simply wait in menu but it does not bother you since you find a match in 20-30 seconds or so.

But since we have some time till more players discover Reflex: there might be a lobby server with a FFA map and the game might "give the option" to join/exit this lobby server. For example when I hit the play button, it starts searching for an opponent and a button in the corner of the menu appears telling "Join Lobby Server while Waiting". And if I can join/exit this lobby server whenever I want, that would be great. Being able to join lobby server or a custom server in server list would be even better, of course.

But as I said this problem will eliminate itself in time, there is no point of joining a different server if MM finds you an opponents in less than 2 minutes 90% of the time. In that case, I can simply wait in the menu without complaining.