GoneM4d

Matchmaking and future game population problem

Heyo, love the new update and it made game a whole lot better, matchmaking was desperately needed and I hope that it will bring in new players in to game population. However I believe that there is a problem that is stopping population from growing because of it's current population. The problem is the extreme skill difference between current player base and future player base. Right now I just played vs a dude on silver that was practically spawn killing me and the my matchmaking calibration consisted of this :

1. Won, was an easy game
  2. Lost, should not of gotten nervous and be more relaxed and I would of won be he did play well
  3. Rape
  4. Rape
  5. Rape
  6. Rape
  7. Rape
  8. Rape
  9. Rape
  10. Victory!

I understand that vets here are seasoned and have very well earned their right to play at their skill level because it was earned though large amount of training and I by no means to say that you just let new guys win but instead drop down to their level, skip out on mega and red armor, and win game with the score of 15-13 instead of 50-0. Because it really is demoralizing and kills really intensive to play the game, finish the match or even carry on playing this game overall. Now I'm a dude that played quake since I was a kid and I know when I am being toyed with but I do appreciate the fact they are at least giving me a chance to win the game(even tho we both know that I will loose) and actually makes match waaay more fun. Shout out to ''dansen'' for that match.

What I am saying that if you vets see a new guy just starting out or dude playing below your skill level, don't just stomp him with 50-0, instead let him explore and get the powerups and win the game with a score of 18-15, it will keep new players around and not make them go ''Fuck this game'' right after their first match. 

PS: Pardon the format and errors, late as hell and tired.

Are 'veterans' not entitled to a good match, as much as you are? It's very easy to get into bad habits by going easy on someone. Also, spawn fragging is a thing that needs to be practiced as much as anything else. Going easy isn't to anyone's benefit. If you are so outmatched that you aren't able to enjoy the game, there is a forfeit option. It might be better to use it rather than waste both player's time sticking to a 60-0 match

This is a temporary problem. What's happening right now is that alot of players are transitioning from the placement matches to their appointed skill level, since the MM update is still quite new. For instance i saw Kyto playing a few days ago on Gold, and Ivan was still in the placement phase. These are two good players and while they're doing that, you might end up facing them. Give it 1 or 2 weeks, so all the 'good' players finished those matches and you won't encounter them anymore.

[Edit] P.S. don't forget to untick the Turbo Queue option, as this will most likely pit you against a more seasoned player.

Edited by Padawan

10 hours ago, GoneM4d said:

To play the way you speak is f**ing boring whereas stomping 50-0 is pretty fun.

There should be at least an encouragement for people which purposely let play close games.

I think the key thing to do here is make people aware that a forfeit option exists. For instance for players still doing placement matches, text on the quickplay/MM screen saying 'you can hit escape to select the forfeit option at any time'. I've had some new players ask me this in game (believe it or not hitting escape is not natural to a lot of people!). Spelling it out clearly would probably be a good thing. The onus is on the losing player to either forfeit, or embrace the experience and learn from it. Not on the winning player to go easy. It's too much to ask. As @Eldrek says, you can form bad habits doing that. A lot of players get into the dangerzone when playing and you don't want to turn that off! However I totally understand @GoneM4d's thinking here; we don't want to scare off new players. But it makes more sense to me to guide them and teach them as much as possible than to appease/deceive them.

One other thing, when you start a game, it can be inspiring to see how the top players play. I would relish the chance to play a few games of chess with Magnus Carlsen knowing full well he'd beat me. Like, categorically, he would 100% beat me :D and I'd love to hold the pads for GSP or Conor McGregor or any pro mixed martial artist, just to get a taste of how hard they hit. So even though you might be getting stomped in game, the whole time you might be like 'how is this player doing this, how can I play like that?!'. It could be very motivating.

I'm not sure about a widget in game that tells you that you can forfeit... but that could certainly be done. But just making it clear that you can forfeit, and in fact by doing so you will more quickly be ranked appropriately and start getting better matches.

1 hour ago, Jaguar said:

I think the key thing to do here is make people aware that a forfeit option exists. For instance for players still doing placement matches, text on the quickplay/MM screen saying 'you can hit escape to select the forfeit option at any time'. I've had some new players ask me this in game (believe it or not hitting escape is not natural to a lot of people!). Spelling it out clearly would probably be a good thing. The onus is on the losing player to either forfeit, or embrace the experience and learn from it. Not on the winning player to go easy. It's too much to ask. As @Eldrek says, you can form bad habits doing that. A lot of players get into the dangerzone when playing and you don't want to turn that off! However I totally understand @GoneM4d's thinking here; we don't want to scare off new players. But it makes more sense to me to guide them and teach them as much as possible than to appease/deceive them.

One other thing, when you start a game, it can be inspiring to see how the top players play. I would relish the chance to play a few games of chess with Magnus Carlsen knowing full well he'd beat me. Like, categorically, he would 100% beat me :D and I'd love to hold the pads for GSP or Conor McGregor or any pro mixed martial artist, just to get a taste of how hard they hit. So even though you might be getting stomped in game, the whole time you might be like 'how is this player doing this, how can I play like that?!'. It could be very motivating.

I'm not sure about a widget in game that tells you that you can forfeit... but that could certainly be done. But just making it clear that you can forfeit, and in fact by doing so you will more quickly be ranked appropriately and start getting better matches.

my first game was against AZK and it ended 61 - -3... was completely blown away by how fast everything was, and how anyone could be that good at something.

game after that was dez on aerowalk and it was a similar story xD. I think a message on the loading screens would be abit better than a widget though.

I agree with what Padawan, Eldrek, and Jaguar are saying. Also, casual duels are there for this reason, imo, if you're not feeling up to the challenge on a given day. Perhaps casual duels could also, by default, include the handicap mutator? Or maybe allow players to vote for that when selecting a map?

However, regarding the constant one-side matches, with the right kind of attitude, it can be inspiring/motivating, not demoralizing. When I started playing CPM years and years ago, I don't think I won a single duel for about the first year. But it was great fun sensing that my skills were progressing constantly. I remember one of these players who would crush me regularly (who shalt remain nameless), I told them one day, "I wish I was at your skill level." And they told me something like, "I wish I was at yours. Seriously. When you're first learning and everything is new, the sense of progression is intoxicating." Hitting those shots you've never hit before, doing a sweet trick jump in the middle of the match, or making some strategically clutch plays... it's like a drug. Live it while your tolerance is low! :D

16 hours ago, GoneM4d said:

Heyo, love the new update and it made game a whole lot better, matchmaking was desperately needed and I hope that it will bring in new players in to game population. However I believe that there is a problem that is stopping population from growing because of it's current population. The problem is the extreme skill difference between current player base and future player base. Right now I just played vs a dude on silver that was practically spawn killing me and the my matchmaking calibration consisted of this :

1. Won, was an easy game
  2. Lost, should not of gotten nervous and be more relaxed and I would of won be he did play well
  3. Rape
  4. Rape
  5. Rape
  6. Rape
  7. Rape
  8. Rape
  9. Rape
  10. Victory!

I understand that vets here are seasoned and have very well earned their right to play at their skill level because it was earned though large amount of training and I by no means to say that you just let new guys win but instead drop down to their level, skip out on mega and red armor, and win game with the score of 15-13 instead of 50-0. Because it really is demoralizing and kills really intensive to play the game, finish the match or even carry on playing this game overall. Now I'm a dude that played quake since I was a kid and I know when I am being toyed with but I do appreciate the fact they are at least giving me a chance to win the game(even tho we both know that I will loose) and actually makes match waaay more fun. Shout out to ''dansen'' for that match.

What I am saying that if you vets see a new guy just starting out or dude playing below your skill level, don't just stomp him with 50-0, instead let him explore and get the powerups and win the game with a score of 18-15, it will keep new players around and not make them go ''Fuck this game'' right after their first match. 

PS: Pardon the format and errors, late as hell and tired.

Who is forcing you play in compeitive matchmaking? You can easy play casual duels for fun and get better. If you are bad and you want only win competitive matches then go play csgo and buy new and new accounts...

2 hours ago, lolograde said:

I remember one of these players who would crush me regularly (who shalt remain nameless), I told them one day, "I wish I was at your skill level." And they told me something like, "I wish I was at yours. Seriously. When you're first learning and everything is new, the sense of progression is intoxicating." Hitting those shots you've never hit before, doing a sweet trick jump in the middle of the match, or making some strategically clutch plays... it's like a drug. Live it while your tolerance is low! :D

This is exactly the reason why many of us stuck with AFPS. Learning is so satisfying and frustrating at the same time.

For me and I believe to many too, feeling your game sense grow feels so good despite pathetic end of game scores.

And sometimes you think that you kinda wish to relive that steep learning curve :)

I'd like to add something to many sensible things a lot of people have said already, namely that a lot of the moves which absolutely destroy a new player are pretty routine for most players, to the extent that they might not even be paying attention to the game but still rack up a 30 frag lead like it's nothing. My point is that it's easier said than done to truly go easy on someone.

18 hours ago, lolograde said:

I don't think I won a single duel for about the first year. But it was great fun sensing that my skills were progressing constantly. I remember one of these players who would crush me regularly (who shalt remain nameless), I told them one day, "I wish I was at your skill level." And they told me something like, "I wish I was at yours. Seriously. When you're first learning and everything is new, the sense of progression is intoxicating." Hitting those shots you've never hit before, doing a sweet trick jump in the middle of the match, or making some strategically clutch plays... it's like a drug. Live it while your tolerance is low! :D

Same as @Grybzt, this is why I keep playing. No other game (or genre, apparently, I'm new to AFPS) has made me feel ok with being stomped. Learning the game is 85% of the fun for me, the rest is the occasional super satisfying sound of an accidental full rocket hit. 

So far I absolutely love the MM system (I haven't even finished my 10 duels, due to time constraints), even though I'm in way above my head dueling, it's the most fun part of the game. 

Anyway if you're EU based and you want we can do some practice duels.