Sign in to follow this  
niilzon

Race-mode : top time replay per server

Race mode is great but lacks an awesome feature that was notably available in Racesow (the race mode for Warsow) : the ability to see the replay of the top run for each race map (per server). 

Is there any plan to implement this feature ? Is it feasible ?

Functionally, in Racesow you could simply type a command while sitting in a race server and you would instantly see the replay of the best time of the current race map. I don't know how it was technically implemented, but I don't think that it was via demo's ; I guess the position and camera angle of the players was saved at many intervals (like 10x/second) and replayed by moving a spectator camera to those positions with the saved angle. Only the top run was saved on the servers. Does not look *that* hard to implement I suppose ??

IIRC things like jump sounds, rocket sprites etc were not part of the replay so I guess it was simply implemented as described here above by moving your spectator camera the right way through the map :)

Has anyone any info about this ? 

Thanks !

You can get race demos from server owners but the trick is the filename doesn't include the time and, as yet, there's no way to know what the time is without watching the replay.

It'd be helpful if devs put either time in the filename or give support on how to read replay info without watching replay.

1 hour ago, lolograde said:

You can get race demos from server owners but the trick is the filename doesn't include the time and, as yet, there's no way to know what the time is without watching the replay.

It'd be helpful if devs put either time in the filename or give support on how to read replay info without watching replay.

I started working on a little program that looks at the replay header and works out the time. If anyone is interested, i might resume work on it. It was clunky and rudimentary but it worked. A little program for analysing replays would be idea, i should probably perservere with that one.