Sign in to follow this  
Jaguar

Does the 'items' training map convey information well enough?

Talking with Kovaak right now got me thinking about new players' experience of the game and how well the training mode of the game conveys information to the new player and I've noticed some holes. Firstly, as has been mentioned elsewhere, the text of the training modes really needs to be localised and translated by the community (and checked by something I guess, but still... if you can't read English, you're kinda screwed from the start). But at the bit where the game attempts to explain the armours:

lnBdHZC.png

I think it fails almost completely. The text explaining the armours, the damage reduction, etc, only reveals when you stand right next to those three little pillars. When I went through it just now, i noticed text appearing on screen and then disappearing almost immediately and it took me a few restarts to figure out what triggered it showing on screen. It is not obvious in the slightest, and I encourage other players to put themselves in the shoes of a  new player and try it again.

I think it would be a lot simpler, and clear, if the text for the game was simply displayed on the wall in some way. I realise that's not simple, but now I have given this some thought it really seems like a big failure. We all noticed people ignoring armours on streams shortly after release. The game is not communicating just how important they are.

Wallhack all the armours for every player whenever the armour is up in casual mode.  Make them emit an ambient sound that gets louder when you're closer to it.  Dunno what to do, I've been picking up health/armour for so long it seems odd to me that people don't walk around maps vacuuming everything.

1 hour ago, Komier said:

Wallhack all the armours for every player whenever the armour is up in casual mode.  Make them emit an ambient sound that gets louder when you're closer to it.  Dunno what to do, I've been picking up health/armour for so long it seems odd to me that people don't walk around maps vacuuming everything.

Indeed, but even if they are picking up armours instinctively it is likely that they're missing the information about each one.

I had been thinking of this or a similar problem of not showing the importance of armors not too long ago, and so I tried to put an idea into a training map that would force the player to notice how to cycle picking up the armors. In my example map I made it the goal of picking up two armors, the YA and the RA, and cycling around the map forcing you (by the ugly means of floor-is-lava) to notice this cycling in order to be able to get the Rocket Launcher, hit the targets and progress through the map to fulfil the training checklist. The map being a training map means that you may want to see how fast you can do it, but this is probably not going to be understood well by new players.

Ultimately I felt this map to be a little clunky, and not perhaps not clear enough. It assumes you are fine with bhopping around, and I still had to add text to convey the idea of what you were trying to do. I have not explained that you need the red armor to be able to get further, but reading a lot of text is something we want to get away from right. The idea of this map is just one small element in the grand scheme of trying to speedily teach a player how to become proficient at playing and understanding reflex.

I've attached my bare-bones map idea, it's far from a solution, but maybe it can help rattle some ideas around here?

bepickupcycling_001.map