Spannzer

How to make custom crosshairs in build #28, with custom colours

Question

First of all, you need an image editor that can open .DDS files, I use Paint.NET (it's free).

•Locate your hud_crosshairs_c file, which is under steamappscommonReflexbaseinternalhud.
•Open the file with Paint.NET
•Choose which crosshair you want to overwrite, in my example I overwrite crosshair 1, so to use it in game I would type <cl_crosshair 1> in my console.

Numbered list of the default crosshairs created by Wari:

7SxDwLg.png

•Zoom in all the way on your selected crosshair
02728002a2.png
•Edit the crosshair as much as you want, but make sure the crosshair is based around the 2x2 pixel centre of your chosen crosshair, otherwise your custom one will not be centered.

•Here's a download link of all 16 crosshairs changed to 2x2 white squares by Wari:

http://puu.sh/cV6EI/e534722a12.dds
85a770c66a.png
•You can now edit the crosshair however you like, as long as it's not bigger than 64x64 I believe.
•If you leave the crosshair at it's default colour in the game settings (cl_crosshair_color 6) you can use whatever colour you like in Paint.NET to draw your crosshair!
Here's an example of my medium sized dot with an rgb value of 0,255,0:

1affb93f65.png

And here's how it looks in game:

cdSlDqr.jpg

Have fun, and happy fragging!

25 answers to this question

Thanks for the explanation. Im reminded of UT3 crosshairs and the limitations that came with them being all in one image file.
I would rather have them all different files as they would be easier to edit and find the center points. Also less chance of making something too big or small.
Just my two cents.
I am thankful for the different xhairs in build #28.

Thanks for the explanation. Im reminded of UT3 crosshairs and the limitations that came with them being all in one image file.

I would rather have them all different files as they would be easier to edit and find the center points. Also less chance of making something too big or small.

Just my two cents.

I am thankful for the different xhairs in build #28.

We'll probably end up with something like when we want to move beyond 16 crosshairs. For now, it was a quick and cheap way to do it.

I tried those wari's crosshairs but i cant change the crosshair, its scaled now but cl_crosshair 1-16 is still same, any tipis for this?

If you haven't installed wari's file correctly, the crosshairs will all be default. If you have installed his file correctly then crosshairs 1-16 will all be 2x2 white squares, it's a base to start making your own. Also you need to be running build 28.

What are the settings to save ? Because I wanted to change only crosshair 1 (I'm using it for RG) and once I modified it and saved it, in-game all other crosshairs seemed in bad quality (few pixels missing for example)

What are the settings to save ? Because I wanted to change only crosshair 1 (I'm using it for RG) and once I modified it and saved it, in-game all other crosshairs seemed in bad quality (few pixels missing for example)

Here's what I use

ffdcc2e7d8.png

The problem seems to be when I open the file, it makes the quality of the current crosshairs really bad because of the size of the pixels (I'm talking about crosshairs like circles). Anyway, I managed to make them a bit better when I outlined them with black.

Any chance we would be able to get a crosshair resize command in the next update (eg. cl_crosshair_size 1.5)? Rather than having to go through all ^ this trouble for the same xhair? 

It won't be included until we implement our new UI system -- scaling the current crosshairs will make them all blurry and crappy looking.

15 hours ago, Terifire said:

I have mine in D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Reflex\base\internal\ui\crosshairs

So not inside the .pak, it will still load them though

Hmm, I don't have that directory at all and inside the .pak I only have crosshairss 6-16 in .svg that seem to be blank. Is it possible for you or anybody else to upload your crosshairs folder?

5 hours ago, banReflex said:

Hmm, I don't have that directory at all and inside the .pak I only have crosshairss 6-16 in .svg that seem to be blank. Is it possible for you or anybody else to upload your crosshairs folder?

You can just create the directory

55 minutes ago, Terifire said:

You can just create the directory

Sure, but it'll be empty and I'd like to change few default crosshairs and try some things out. I've tried creating ...\steamapps\common\reflexfps\base\internal\ui\crosshairs and making a random .svg file named crosshair1.svg and crosshair01.svg but it didn't change anything, the game still used default crosshairs.

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong and why the default crosshairs aren't even located in internal.pak.