Sign in to follow this  
Padawan

Reflex map editor as a unique selling point

Or: How to generate more exposure by separately marketing the map editor for a different target-audience.

One of Reflex's most defining features is without a doubt its map editor. Instead of having to download additional software like Radiant to get things up and running, Reflex comes bundled with a ready-to-use, easy-to-learn realtime (engine) map editor. Yet it's not heavily advertised for this unique feature but rather for its 'frag like it's 1999' style gameplay (which caters to a small, niche club of oldschool gamers). In short: it doesn't quite get the attention it deserves.

It could spark some major interest if Reflex's map editor was marketed in a different manner, for example by being offered as a standalone (free/trial/cheap/bundled with game assets) product, such as the Unreal engine. Creative people would pick it up and play with it, resulting in maps and generated content (streams, youtube, tutorials).

Possible ways:

- Release the map editor for free (or cheap, subscription based, whatever) and standalone on Steam, market it as a flexible, easy-to-use mapping tool

- Map editor only available in spectator mode, to walk around in it and play the map you have to buy a copy of Reflex

- Keep the current pipeline to the workshop, so people can offload their maps (and get all hyped about it because it will be featured in the game itself, giving them a reason to buy the game)

- If people want to add existing brushes to their map, they also have to purchase the game on Steam (for the assets)

- Maybe give a small discount (coupon code) for the full game after giving the map editor a try

???

Who cares about the editor when nobody plays the game? The true selling points were modern graphics, matchmaking, QW feel (physics and overall balance) and the stakegun.

Matchmaking only works for duel (which isn't very attractive for most players), graphics aren't extremely good without textures, stakegun is missing in normal gamemodes and QW feel is gone.

6 hours ago, HaraldQuake said:

Who cares about the editor when nobody plays the game? The true selling points were modern graphics, matchmaking, QW feel (physics and overall balance) and the stakegun.

Matchmaking only works for duel (which isn't very attractive for most players), graphics aren't extremely good without textures, stakegun is missing in normal gamemodes and QW feel is gone.

The OP is about getting more people playing the game... I thought that was pretty obvious but I guess not?

What you think the main selling point is is a matter of opinion. I agree with Padawan that the in game map editor is a huge feature that will continue to pay dividends in the form of not only really great maps but also a continuous supply of new quality maps. The more people map, the more people there are with experience mapping, the more well made maps there are. It's simple statistics. 

Wrt Padawan's idea, I think that'd be a neat idea. There is a type of gamer out there who likes creative gameplay. Minecraft comes to mind. So have a sort of "freeware" version of Reflex that includes the map editor may attract those gamers.

6 hours ago, lolograde said:

The OP is about getting more people playing the game... I thought that was pretty obvious but I guess not?

What you think the main selling point is is a matter of opinion. I agree with Padawan that the in game map editor is a huge feature that will continue to pay dividends in the form of not only really great maps but also a continuous supply of new quality maps. The more people map, the more people there are with experience mapping, the more well made maps there are. It's simple statistics. 

Wrt Padawan's idea, I think that'd be a neat idea. There is a type of gamer out there who likes creative gameplay. Minecraft comes to mind. So have a sort of "freeware" version of Reflex that includes the map editor may attract those gamers.

Yes, the idea is roughly that if you make a unique part of Reflex freeware (in this case the editor), then people will create content for it (admitted, not all of them will create good duel maps, particularly if you would have to buy the game to playtest it). Created content is good for overall activity and putting Reflex out there, on YouTube and other various platforms.

The way i see it, Reflex has 2 distinct problems which have a detrimental effect on the game's popularity and the chance to grow a larger playerbase:

1. The lack of exposure since early access launch (what this thread is basically about, boosting exposure with every means possible. The map editor idea itself wouldn't directly attract new players, but the created content and attention as a side effect might suck other people (who come across this content) into playing the game.

2. The devs' policy of silence and not paying (enough) attention to the community's wishes creates this atmosphere of abandonware. I know the devs have a lot of future plans for Reflex in their roadmap but they really have to be more active, on these forums for example, answering questions and discussing with gameplay changes. If you want to speak to a dev right now you have to get on Discord and @mention them personally. It shouldn't be like that :P they should come to us and be more involved with the community

Edited by Padawan