Sign in to follow this  
bej

Competitive/Casual rulesets - Are they actually helping? - here's an idea

I think things need to be reconsidered a bit for each mode (except probably duel, that's not something I feel I can speak for). In team modes, people tend to forget or not consider changing a ruleset to reduce the match time. No new player is not going to know about this, and will most likely experience exhaustion and not want to ride the game to the end. 20 minute CTF is a killer, especially if anyone wants to cast a tournament for it again.

I'm not sure how it is in FFA but; I think tdm and ctf games should be made shorter, to perhaps 15 minutes competitive and 10-12 mins casual. And also perhaps the same with 2v2. Although as I touched on earlier, I feel there is a fundamental flaw in public usage of these rulesets.

Even going a bit more extreme and simplifying ctf / tdm to not have casual/competitve rulesets and making the match last 12-14 minutes or so is potentially a good thing. In this scenario, to simplify things and ultimately remove callvoting the ruleset, Instead of being able to callvote the competitive/casual ruleset in the case of duel: when both players have f3'd and the round initiates, a pop-up box should appear asking the players whether they want to play the round in competitive or casual, and if both players choose the opposite, a compromise can be applied where the game last 7-8 minutes. A mini-explanation can be added in the pop-up so people know exactly what's up. Ofcourse I'm not talking about MatchMaking with this last pop-up box thought, as this is always assumedly going to be forced competitive.

Any thoughts on this?

edit: I since realised casual ctf is already on 10 minutes, but that doesn't take away from the fact that when a game is played, only the more active players know the difference. 20min ctf is just too long.

The rulesets hide a lot of information from the player, so unless you lurk in the forums or discord you'll never know. Quite often for an instagib game I'll callvote for the casual ruleset just to set the timelimit to 5 minutes, because 10 minutes of insta on one map can get a bit boring. But to the new or casual player, they just see  something about a ruleset that they don't understand.

I really think the timelimit should just be votable, and have an sv_ command to allow callvoting for timelimit or not. This would be a blessing for race servers! Otherwise when a ruleset callvote is made, there should be text on the screen explaining what will change.

6 minutes ago, Jaguar said:

But to the new or casual player, they just see  something about a ruleset that they don't understand.

exactly, and they are likely to not vote at all; or if they do vote, they are likely to vote for competitive just as much as they would for casual. Perhaps they may even be more inclined to vote competitive, because "it's a competitive game, I ain't no casual"

I agree with long team mode timelimits in competitive modes. Any mode shouldn't last no longer than 10 minutes, not in matchmaking environment anyway (personal opinion, I tend to wear out after 10-15 minutes of intense gameplay).

Like @Jaguar said, timelimits should be separate voteable thing, which leads to my proposal for what to do with rulesets: I think we should ditch all the rulesets completely, and have item timers and timelimits changeable via callvote system. With experimental_stake ruleset also gone, we could have something similar to CPMA's "callvote items" system to for being able to enable stake in the match.

For matchmaking system, casual/competitive separation should also be removed and replaced with a preference system which is self explanatory for all new and old players: each player chooses their preferences for how long the match should last (5/10/15/any minutes), with or without item timers (+ "don't care" option), and whether the match is ranked or not (ranked being ELO and unranked matching with everyone with no ELO readjustments). All these preferences should be optional for all players (except ranked should be opt-in), and if they choose to opt-out or not select any preferences, they'd get matched with anyone.