king

So how does being able to turn in the air add to gameplay?

I agree w/ above but I also would like to point out one of the side effects of air control. If you compare it to crouchsliding (which is similar), the major difference is that being in the air and bunnyhopping makes you more vulnerable. It's a balance between risk and reward. You can move faster but you also risk getting pushed by knockback or popped up by a well placed explosive. 

Another thought about strafe jumping in general is that I think it is, at its essence, about another, deeper and more nuanced level of control over your player. It's not necessarily always about going as fast as possible (although that is fun) but sometimes it's about going the right speed. In duels, you may want to be going a certain pace to get somewhere in time for something but not so fast that it becomes dangerous and foolhardy. In race, the most efficient route may not always be the one that goes at maximum possible speed. In other words, it's the power to control how fast you move.

I personally think it would add more if the maneuverability was equal to all directions, currently you have to be facing forwards when you bunnyhop around the corners. While this is cool for race, it's taking away from combat. True mastery of the movement is when you can aim and move at the same time in my opinion, but the movement system simply isn't built for it.

19 hours ago, Smilecythe said:

I personally think it would add more if the maneuverability was equal to all directions, currently you have to be facing forwards when you bunnyhop around the corners. While this is cool for race, it's taking away from combat. True mastery of the movement is when you can aim and move at the same time in my opinion, but the movement system simply isn't built for it.

if it was possible to circlestrafe people consistently I would quit, reflex has enough "uve just been outskilled kiddo" moments as it is - i dont need some dweeb flying around me at 600ups popping me up

15 hours ago, fuglaa said:

if it was possible to circlestrafe people consistently I would quit, reflex has enough "uve just been outskilled kiddo" moments as it is - i dont need some dweeb flying around me at 600ups popping me up

You should probably quit then, because you can already to an extend do it. It's just obnoxiously inconsistent and teaching it to someone new is annoying beyond measure.

• Allows players to be much more innovative with their gameplay.
  • Allows more playstyles to be viable, along with more weapons.
  • Gives the player much more freedom, but not too much to where it is game-breaking. In other words, it holds the player back a LOT less.
  • More mind-games
  • Less "static" play

It adds to gameplay by allowing players to actually do more, unlike other games where they restrict the player from being able to do more.