Sign in to follow this  
Praxismo

dm4x9_8_b2 - 'A Bad Place' - classic qw remake.

'THE Bad Place' -    : (

Firstly I'd like to thank some people for their help:

Kovaak helped me immeasurably with the revision of this map, spending many hours with me with his uncompromising eye for quality.  His superior experience in both qw and dm4 enabled a much closer feel to the original map than my first version: tele targets and trigger points were moved, pickup locations modified, overall scale revised, visuals altered.

https://www.youtube.com/user/KovaaK

http://www.twitch.tv/kovaak_of_qw

Zita for his 1on1 help and feedback at times, plus his excellent build guide which taught me a lot, please help him out by voting up his edit guide on steam.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=338725123

Shpuld for his outrageously helpful map scaling script: 

Without this neat little tool it could have taken me an extra week and a half to arrive at what we thought was the best scale for this remake.  His thread should be stickied in my opinion.

Original thread: 

This will be the last build of this map I release until ammo packs are released in game, once that happens the dynamics will change a lot.  I've been pleasantly surprised at how well this map plays out in duel, and with allowances for the obvious differences due to the differing core game mechanics: how much it feels like the qw version.  Of course if I want the best dm4 experience, I'm going to load up ezQuake every time, this version is a mimic that will never replace what qw has to offer, but nevertheless I believe it offers a good quality experience in reflex as reflex is right now.

Changes from first revision:

• Teleporter activation points and targets moved.
  • Items repositioned for more fluid experience.
  • Map rescaled to 9:8, remake:original.  The 1:1 version was far too fast and small, even in comparison to the original experience, the jumps possible in this version would have diminished the requirement for strategy.
  • Carnage added for non 1v1 gametypes.
  • Some corridors slightly restricted to force ammo pickups once packs are released for reflex.
  • Ledges leading out from ammo room lowered slightly to mimic original.

Items:

Armour

2 x light

1 x medium

1 x heavy

Health

1 x 100

7 x 25

1 x 5

Weapons

1 x burstgun

1 x shotgun

1 x grenade launcher

1 x plasma rifle

2 x rocket launcher

1 x ion cannon

Powerups

1 x Carnage (not 1v1)

Video:  http://www.twitch.tv/kovaak_of_qw/c/5510968

post-260-0-38614600-1416306744_thumb.jpg

https://mega.co.nz/#!o1xWmCYK!F443nGiDvLpJ6oijsWUjlBvii-lNwDatcCQcAUV5WOg

Nice, but i suppose this cant be distributed with the game because of IP?

Correct, the map is under GPL, so although we have the liberty to copy it and play it, Reflex would have to be free to the public in order for this map to be included in any official map packs.

Edit:  According to Stormcrow I'm in the wrong about the nature of GPLs: 

nice remake, im gonna play with some buddies tonight.

Also im quite confused about portal effects or effects on world spawns in general. Where in the file directory can i find the effects for portal. And do you just type the effect command in the effect line for that world spawn?
Would make my map look alot better.

nice remake, im gonna play with some buddies tonight.

Also im quite confused about portal effects or effects on world spawns in general. Where in the file directory can i find the effects for portal. And do you just type the effect command in the effect line for that world spawn?

Would make my map look alot better.

I'm afraid I don't really understand your question, if you talk to me on IRC I'll be happy to help.

Correct, the map is under GPL, so although we have the liberty to copy it and play it, Reflex would have to be free to the public in order for this map to be included in any official map packs.

I'm not really adding any value to the discussion here, but this is a pet peeve of mine. That's not what the GPL actually says, and you're actually repeating propaganda spread by people like Steve Ballmer when the GPL first became a thing. Any derivative work of the map would be required to be released under the GPL, but you could hardly argue that the inclusion of one map makes all of Reflex a derivative work. What it does mean is that Praxismo's map has to be either GPL or released under a license (including public domain) that's compatible with the GPL, and it probably means that if this map were released as part of a map pack, the entire map pack should be either GPL or a license compatible with the GPL. Releasing it with the base distribution would theoretically only require that Reflex's devs make a copy of the map file available under the terms of the GPL or a compatible license to anyone, whether or not they own Reflex.

tl;dr: The viral nature of the GPL only applies to derivative works.

I'm not really adding any value to the discussion here, but this is a pet peeve of mine. That's not what the GPL actually says, and you're actually repeating propaganda spread by people like Steve Ballmer when the GPL first became a thing. Any derivative work of the map would be required to be released under the GPL, but you could hardly argue that the inclusion of one map makes all of Reflex a derivative work. What it does mean is that Praxismo's map has to be either GPL or released under a license (including public domain) that's compatible with the GPL, and it probably means that if this map were released as part of a map pack, the entire map pack should be either GPL or a license compatible with the GPL. Releasing it with the base distribution would theoretically only require that Reflex's devs make a copy of the map file available under the terms of the GPL or a compatible license to anyone, whether or not they own Reflex.

tl;dr: The viral nature of the GPL only applies to derivative works.

On the contrary, I think what you said contributed a lot of value to the thread, thanks.

Are you sure the maps are under GPL? I was under the impression only the source code has been released under the GPL, but not any of the gfx/sound/art assets. Used to be this way for Q3 anyways.

John Romero released the quakeworld map sources under GPL in October 2006.

http://www.quakeworld.nu/news/322/freeing-quake-gpl-maps-status

very good looking and clean remake. i love the lightnings in there 

lets you dream of some past awesome qw map

i like! :)

to the map itself. what shall i say. i think most ppl already know it. its great balanced and has good flow. more kind of a slow to play map but with many possibilities to controll

Perfect job - the original scale works best.

Have you tried it?  It really doesn't, not in reflex.  You can rocket jump from the bottom of lava pit all the way to the catwalk, for example.  I might still have the 1:1 version if you haven't tried it yet and want to give it a go sometime.

I helped kovaak with his dm3 a little but I'm afraid I can't claim much credit for it; I also helped him with his authentic aerowalk remake, but at the moment it suffers from a game bug that we're hoping one day gets fixed.

I reckon a dm2 could be amazing one day.

Thanks for the praise by the way, I just hope that ammo packs get released in reflex one day so that we may play these maps more properly.