Sign in to follow this  
Messik

Weapon Stay 2v2 Modifier

1 hour ago, lolograde said:

What?

Do I need to explain what weapon stay is or do you not like my idea. I know it wont get added since the devs seem to not care enough to fix even little things like locking teams.

1 hour ago, Messik said:

Do I need to explain what weapon stay is or do you not like my idea. I know it wont get added since the devs seem to not care enough to fix even little things like locking teams.

The wording is a bit funny but I think I know what you mean.

It's a philosophical question about what 2v2 should be like. If you had QW style weapon/ammo system but with Reflex's weapon balance, and played 2v2 on a duel map, it seems like it'd break any sense of map control. Just grab weapons and relentlessly rush. I've never played QW 2v2 but I assume QW's weapon balance has a lot to do with it working well in QW (RL has enormous splash/damage and LG does insane damage so it's harder to rush the "in control" team down). 

EDIT: Incidentally, if I remember correctly, CPM briefly introduced the QW-style weapon/ammo system (CPMA 1.34 or 1.35) and it caused a lot of controversy since it didn't seem to work well with the weapon balance. There was a large tournament on-going (Challenge Master Cup Extra Large, "CMCXL") which rapidly died halfway through after the update. 

I'm not saying it's a bad idea. It'd be fun to test. It'd be awesome if the devs simply introduced some room to make custom mutators or game modes so ideas like yours could be tested. However, I will say that I think the spirit in which in most enjoy 2v2 is that weapon control is part of the equation. It can be a lot of fun with the right balance and experienced players.

Edited by lolograde

Being able to find 2v2 teamplay matches in matchmaking in a reasonable timeframe is the most important thing to fix. I think the game needs an in-game ladder (which resets it's stats each month) for teampla modes with special rewards (for example some kind of player titles to show off to others). This will give players more reason to play teamplay. Current maps in the 2v2 pool (termal blast, phobos, iron guard) are rather big compared to furnace, catalyst, ruin or aerowalk. I think it's good to have limited weapons on maps. It makes weaker weapons like shotgun more useful when ammo on powerful weapons like rocketlauncher is limited. I think QW is more fun and generally better than Reflex but it's a completely different game (weapons stay, different respawn timers on major items, lower ammolimits, instant weaponswitch, no Q3 style srafejump, sharper aircontrol, smaller playermodels, lower viewheight, higher gravity, hitscan spawnweapon, no boltrifle, higher explosive splash range, more knockback, mostly tighter maps). I think it's rather unlikely that more aspects of QW will get introduced into Reflex in future. Q3, QL and Quake Champions community and popularity have way more influence on this game than ancient QW.

2 hours ago, lolograde said:

The wording is a bit funny but I think I know what you mean.

It's a philosophical question about what 2v2 should be like. If you had QW style weapon/ammo system but with Reflex's weapon balance, and played 2v2 on a duel map, it seems like it'd break any sense of map control. Just grab weapons and relentlessly rush. I've never played QW 2v2 but I assume QW's weapon balance has a lot to do with it working well in QW (RL has enormous splash/damage and LG does insane damage so it's harder to rush the "in control" team down). 

EDIT: Incidentally, if I remember correctly, CPM briefly introduced the QW-style weapon/ammo system (CPMA 1.34 or 1.35) and it caused a lot of controversy since it didn't seem to work well with the weapon balance. There was a large tournament on-going (Challenge Master Cup Extra Large, "CMCXL") which rapidly died halfway through after the update. 

I'm not saying it's a bad idea. It'd be fun to test. It'd be awesome if the devs simply introduced some room to make custom mutators or game modes so ideas like yours could be tested. However, I will say that I think the spirit in which in most enjoy 2v2 is that weapon control is part of the equation. It can be a lot of fun with the right balance and experienced players.

Its just something that sounds like it would be fun to have, kind of implying they give us the tools ourselves to make things like that. Definitely wouldn't work on maps like t7 or t2, but the map I was running around where I got the idea was Simplicity which seemed a bit more like a QW 2v2 map. Would interesting to see if weapon stay plays better in reflex than cpm because of the armor values. What maps did they play in cpm weapon stay?

3 hours ago, Messik said:

Its just something that sounds like it would be fun to have, kind of implying they give us the tools ourselves to make things like that. Definitely wouldn't work on maps like t7 or t2, but the map I was running around where I got the idea was Simplicity which seemed a bit more like a QW 2v2 map. Would interesting to see if weapon stay plays better in reflex than cpm because of the armor values. What maps did they play in cpm weapon stay?

The CPM weapon stay was for the entire ruleset, iirc. Not map specific.