lolograde

Water skimming?

What if there were some cool physics/movement effects with water? For example, if you hit water at reasonably parallel angle going >1000ups, maybe you could "skim" over it? A way this could work is that ground friction on water is proportional (to some factor) to your speed when you hit the water material. Once you fall beneath like 750ups, you sink into the water like normal. That might be a nice way to add some uniqueness to Reflex's movement physics without necessarily changing the physics/mechanics itself.

This could result in some cool map designs: for example, making an area with water but a really low ceiling (just above head) so you cannot strafejump across the water. So you'd need to be going fast enough to "skim" through (without strafejumping/bhopping) over the top of the water before the water's friction reduces your speed so much that you sink into it!

Could be very interesting for race mode but also imagine CTF maps where you could take a "risky" route to escape across water. Or even a duel map!

EDIT: Oh yea, also: SLICK PLEASE!

Edited by lolograde

13 hours ago, promEUs said:

You mean something like this? 

Yeah something like that. Although I wonder if maybe it shouldn't let you bunnyhop. Maybe if you try to jump while water skimming, it'd drop you into the water?

I like the idea but I think the technique would be very easy to master for seasoned players on one hand while introducing another hurdle for newcomers on the other hand. Not sure if something that isn't contributing a lot to depth (outside of race) should be introduced if it potentially might scare newcomers.

Just FYI if this will be a thing I coin the term "to jeez" for this and the update should be released on easter.

On 12/20/2017 at 5:16 PM, /fragile said:

I like the idea but I think the technique would be very easy to master for seasoned players on one hand while introducing another hurdle for newcomers on the other hand. Not sure if something that isn't contributing a lot to depth (outside of race) should be introduced if it potentially might scare newcomers.

Just FYI if this will be a thing I coin the term "to jeez" for this and the update should be released on easter.

Advanced movement mechanics are one of the reasons why i got interested in playing reflex as my first afps. I think if you see water skimming as a "hurdle" then the game itself won't be very enjoyable for you because of the movement mechanics that are already in place.

How much depth a water skimming mechanic adds is dependant on how maps make use of it, how the mechanic flows in with the rest of the gameplay and how much of an advantage it can possibly give based on factors like max. velocity to gain, aircontrol, min. velocity required for skimming etc.