Sign in to follow this  
HaraldQuake

Please don't let the game die

Comig back from Quake Champions I have to say that I much prefer Reflex Arena. The problem is that Reflex is pretty much dead besides some hardcore veterans playing and stomping me in duel 0 : 40 all the time. Team gamemodes don't get played at all (besides Clan Arena, which bores me quickly). Mostly I can't even find a Free For All match.. What can we do to get more people playing Reflex? There hasn't been an Update for the game since ~ half a year and I really don't know what the devs are working on right now. Maybe their strategy is to silently work on the game until the Quake Champions hype is over. I read somewhere that there aren't any new features planned, but they are improving the existing ones (which sounds good but anyway it's bad that nobody is playing gamemodes besides duel). Thoughts?

Edit: I really like the sacrefice mode in Quake Champions. It has all the gameplay elements I like: picking up armors and weapons, timing Powerup each 2 minutes, moving fast, defending your base and attacking the enemy base... and it allows nice teamplay since you have to conquer the soul from the enemy obelisk. You can't just rush into the enemy base, get the flag and run out again. You have to work with your team to contest the objective... and I like that you can pass the soul over towards a teammate. This adds another layer of teamplay and coordination.

Reflex is dead because it doesn't cater to new players nor teamplay. It doesn't get a lot of marketing either. So you're left with veteran duelists.

One step would be to create a custom ruleset to make team gamemodes interesting and hope that the part of the afps community that wants TDM will come back.

Another would be make the game more readable for new players.

I think the game would become much more addictive for non-competetive play if there was daily Challenges and more unlockable (maybe some rare) cosmetics like a variety of gunmodels and paintovers. Another really helpful thing would be 3D item timers on item spawnpoints. I think this is a great feature for both competetive and noncompetetive because it makes the game more readable and also allows players to scout itemstimers for themself and their team. It would make in contol play also slightly harder since it will be easier to set up traps.