Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
shooter

Reflex 1.2.0

Recommended Posts

Moving 1.2 out of beta, thanks to everyone for the feedback !

General Fixes:

  • Fixed RL lod not working with skins
  • Fixed Plasma lod not working with skins
  • Fixed bolt rifle lod not working with skins
  • Fixed issue where UI would crash when opening last crate
  • Gamma now clamped at 2.7 when in menu (so menu is readable)
  • Hid "buy (in store)" item in profile menu when selecting non-purchasable items not yet found in a crate
  • Increased ui2EditBox/textRegion max length from 256 to 8000 so addon descriptions don't get truncated
  • Main menu forge/map editor buttons now ensure sv_allowedit 1 is set
  • Old replays using rulesets removed from game (experimental, experimental_plus, experimental_stake) should now playback as desired
  • Gib explode directions should now be more consistent when playing back replays continously
  • Removed 'blip' sound from menu.rep

Forge:

  • Fixed issue where UI would break when adding bogus values to text entry boxes
  • Updated Reflex_Weapons.zip to include all base textures
  • Added Digi Pink skin set

Art:

  • Fixed issue where Speed ragdoll legs crash the game
  • Fixed previous optimisation pass which disabled several particles (such as steam, steam_lava etc)
  • Fixed jump anim that was bugging out the arm

Purity:

  • Fixed issue where pak file assets were always taking precedence
  • Visual clarity mod verified to work, as it should be
  • Custom sounds now work too

Custom Rulesets:

  • Fixed issue where gconst_stake_enabled (and others) wern't properly reset when returning from a custom ruleset
  • Fixed Crash in “map” with “sv_startruleset” used
  • Fixed issues switching between two custom rulesets
  • Custom ruleset are now always "based on" competitive. i.e. if you don't set a gconst, it will to default to what's in competitive.
  • Exposed gconst_expose_timers_to_lua
  • Exposed gconst_powerups_drop
  • Exposed gconst_default_game_timelimit (keep in mind this will set to ALL gamemodes! don't specify if you want the default of different values per gamemode)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fairly disappointed tbh. I held off commenting on 1.2beta because it was a beta, and I hoped some much needed improvements were coming in 1.2. 

 

  • Matchmaking needs a new season. TBP promised a new season every 3 months and its been over a year with none. Turbo queue doesn't work as its supposed to. Based on the name its supposed to give you a "turbo" queue, but it only increases the mmr range by a very small amount. So even when my friends(and other people who want a fast queue) want to play with me we can't. As the literal #1 on the ladder in NA right now this makes matchmaking 100% unusable, and if you look at the number of MM matches in north America 2018, you will see its unusable for everybody else as well. This is why there are so many "dead game" reviews on steam. New people get into the game, start up matchmaking, after 5 minutes of not finding anything they hit turbo queue and after another 10-15 minutes the ded game steam review comes.
  • Hitscan at pings of 50+ is still garbage, despite the developers lying to the playerbase about it being "like LAN up to 80ms"
  • No ingame race leaderboards STILL, despite it being arguably the most popular gamemode(there's a lot of private server racers/mappers)
  • No timeout option.
  • Much needed gconst_ variables were not added(separating quad knockback from normal knockback, weapon switch, item times, spawns, etc etc.
  • Fixing the playerscale and collision so rocket knockback works properly.
  • Improving spawn system so you can't spawn in your opponents face.
  • Still no triggers and movers 

So, in the end we waited a year for more cosmetics, and a reinstallment of what was already in the game, which the developers took out. I guess that's the trend with developers these days- add cosmetics, add more cosmetics, and don't fix long standing issues. Thanks EA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, F4ster said:

Fairly disappointed tbh. I held off commenting on 1.2beta because it was a beta, and I hoped some much needed improvements were coming in 1.2. 

 

  • Matchmaking needs a new season. TBP promised a new season every 3 months and its been over a year with none. Turbo queue doesn't work as its supposed to. Based on the name its supposed to give you a "turbo" queue, but it only increases the mmr range by a very small amount. So even when my friends(and other people who want a fast queue) want to play with me we can't. As the literal #1 on the ladder in NA right now this makes matchmaking 100% unusable, and if you look at the number of MM matches in north America 2018, you will see its unusable for everybody else as well. This is why there are so many "dead game" reviews on steam. New people get into the game, start up matchmaking, after 5 minutes of not finding anything they hit turbo queue and after another 10-15 minutes the ded game steam review comes.
  • Hitscan at pings of 50+ is still garbage, despite the developers lying to the playerbase about it being "like LAN up to 80ms"
  • No ingame race leaderboards STILL, despite it being arguably the most popular gamemode(there's a lot of private server racers/mappers)
  • No timeout option.
  • Much needed gconst_ variables were not added(separating quad knockback from normal knockback, weapon switch, item times, spawns, etc etc.
  • Fixing the playerscale and collision so rocket knockback works properly.
  • Improving spawn system so you can't spawn in your opponents face. 

So, in the end we waited a year for more cosmetics, and a reinstallment of what was already in the game, which the developers took out. I guess that's the trend with developers these days- add cosmetics, add more cosmetics, and don't fix long standing issues. Thanks EA

  • No one in NA plays matchmaking for reasons other than what you've stated here. MM duels are simply not as enjoyable as dueling in a normal server since you cannot chat with your opponent, cannot choose the map you want to play, are often forced to play maps that aren't particularly relevant, and (as of late) cannot chose to play any ruleset other than competitive which is a poor experience for the majority of players. NA has almost collectively made a choice to not play MM, and its of no fault of the devs, its the design of modern MM systems in general. And, back when turbo queuing was first introduced people complained about being put against people too far from their skill rating and so the devs changed the scaling, if I remember correctly.
  • -
  • http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=799460767&searchtext=race+leaderboard
  • The technical barriers to creating something like this are extensive, people have brought up this point many times, and the devs have addressed it before.
  • -
  • Rocket knockback works properly, just because it is different from other AFPS does not mean it is wrong or broken.
  • The Spawn system works as intended in almost all cases, the only time that you spawn in your opponents face is if your opponent is moving very quickly or using teleporters. This is behavior is critical to the gameplay of Reflex. Spawn fragging has been part of the meta game for a long time, and there is no reason or method to change that. Considering the size of the maps in Reflex there are sometimes almost no locations in which the player can be spawned to avoid being spawnfragged, and even if the game could somehow determine what that location is, then the spawn system would become too predictable and spawn forcing would be an even more viable strategy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Xytaglyph said:
  • No one in NA plays matchmaking for reasons other than what you've stated here. MM duels are simply not as enjoyable as dueling in a normal server since you cannot chat with your opponent, cannot choose the map you want to play, are often forced to play maps that aren't particularly relevant, and (as of late) cannot chose to play any ruleset other than competitive which is a poor experience for the majority of players. NA has almost collectively made a choice to not play MM, and its of no fault of the devs, its the design of modern MM systems in general. And, back when turbo queuing was first introduced people complained about being put against people too far from their skill rating and so the devs changed the scaling, if I remember correctly.
  • -
  • http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=799460767&searchtext=race+leaderboard
  • The technical barriers to creating something like this are extensive, people have brought up this point many times, and the devs have addressed it before.
  • -
  • Rocket knockback works properly, just because it is different from other AFPS does not mean it is wrong or broken.
  • The Spawn system works as intended in almost all cases, the only time that you spawn in your opponents face is if your opponent is moving very quickly or using teleporters. This is behavior is critical to the gameplay of Reflex. Spawn fragging has been part of the meta game for a long time, and there is no reason or method to change that. Considering the size of the maps in Reflex there are sometimes almost no locations in which the player can be spawned to avoid being spawnfragged, and even if the game could somehow determine what that location is, then the spawn system would become too predictable and spawn forcing would be an even more viable strategy.
  • "and (as of late) cannot choose to play on any ruleset other than competitive which is a poor experience for the majority of players".Hint:9.8% of 71 is not a majority-. My point still stands: Turbo queue implies clicking it gets you a really fast queue. If it doesn't do that(which it doesn't) Its broken. If people can't handle it when they click "turbo queue" and get exactly that its their problem. " The Season will last 3 months and comes complete with leaderboards and downloadable replays" Its been over 12 months. 
  • "-" :D
  • Those leaderboards only work for people who have it installed. They can also be very easily rigged. Its a band-aid that shouldn't be accepted as a final solution.
  • Being a developer takes work, making a good game takes work. Do you go into the grocery store expecting to buy rotten foods because the employees didn't want to work to keep them fresh? Technical barriers? Overcome them. Can't be done on a crappy engine? get a good engine.
  • "-" :D
  • @Kyto @promEUs @deekay  Can either of you help me out explaining this one? Not sure of the exact "technical" reasons reflex knockback feels so crappy compared to CPM, but really all you have to do is play it to tell. Edit: Kyto - Yesterday at 8:17 PM- Its pretty self evident ye for anyone who has played both cpma and reflex.
  • "The spawn system works as intended in almost all" stop. If it only works in "almost all" cases then it doesn't work. I mean really xyta, you have 2200 hours in this game you know its broken af. I have had times(1.2K hours) where I sit on yellow on Pocket Infinity and the dude spawns on RL right behind me. Edit: To clarify, I'm not asking for an overhaul of the spawnsystem, just for the devs to fix the "bug" where you spawn 2 feet away from your opponent in plain sight, and to provide more options for determining spawns through the map editor.https://www.twitch.tv/videos/58552487
  • Oh and one more thing, Triggers and movers were promised in .47(iirc, maybe it was 48). Its 1.2 and we still don't have them, but hey, we have crates its all cool :^)
Edited by F4ster
Clarification

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think the spawn system is broken. The reason you occasionally get spawns which feel unfair are because if the spawn system was as simple as 'spawn you as far away as possible' it is extremely predictable. Which is bad :P On top of that you have the situations whereby you go through a teleporter just before they spawn - good example of this is you kill someone by shotgun on Cata and go through the teleport. Literally spawning them at the other end of the map puts them at the GL spawn close to the tele - the tele happens to link to the other side of the map and the game doesn't know that.

There might well be room for improvement on the spawn system but having it factor in things such as player velocity and teleports would be a lot of dev time. Just thinking about it is giving me a headache on behalf of shooter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, F4ster said:
  • "and (as of late) cannot choose to play on any ruleset other than competitive which is a poor experience for the majority of players".Hint:9.8% of 71 is not a majority-. My point still stands: Turbo queue implies clicking it gets you a really fast queue. If it doesn't do that(which it doesn't) Its broken. If people can't handle it when they click "turbo queue" and get exactly that its their problem. " The Season will last 3 months and comes complete with leaderboards and downloadable replays" Its been over 12 months. 
  • "-" :D
  • Those leaderboards only work for people who have it installed. They can also be very easily rigged. Its a band-aid that shouldn't be accepted as a final solution.
  • Being a developer takes work, making a good game takes work. Do you go into the grocery store expecting to buy rotten foods because the employees didn't want to work to keep them fresh? Technical barriers? Overcome them. Can't be done on a crappy engine? get a good engine.
  • "-" :D
  • @Kyto @promEUs @deekay  Can either of you help me out explaining this one? Not sure of the exact "technical" reasons reflex knockback feels so crappy compared to CPM, but really all you have to do is play it to tell. Edit: Kyto - Yesterday at 8:17 PM- Its pretty self evident ye for anyone who has played both cpma and reflex.
  • "The spawn system works as intended in almost all" stop. If it only works in "almost all" cases then it doesn't work. I mean really xyta, you have 2200 hours in this game you know its broken af. I have had times(1.2K hours) where I sit on yellow on Pocket Infinity and the dude spawns on RL right behind me. Edit: To clarify, I'm not asking for an overhaul of the spawnsystem, just for the devs to fix the "bug" where you spawn 2 feet away from your opponent in plain sight, and to provide more options for determining spawns through the map editor.https://www.twitch.tv/videos/58552487
  • Oh and one more thing, Triggers and movers were promised in .47(iirc, maybe it was 48). Its 1.2 and we still don't have them, but hey, we have crates its all cool :^)

Even with turbo queue, what would be the point of playing ranked MM and just going against people far outside your rank? that complete defeats the purpose. The reason turbo doesn't work is because there aren't any people playing MM, not because turbo queue doesn't work. If you are the only person in queue, turbo queue can give you the widest skill band in the universe, but you still wont find a game.

And if you legitimately think that that poll tells us anything about how the general populous feels about the ruleset, you are extremely unaware and out of touch with the community. If CR1 was good and people liked it, CR2 and Sushi wouldn't even exist, and we wouldn't have a Sushi discord server with almost 150 users in it. People wanted change, so they voted for a new ruleset. Not a big surprise. On paper, the ruleset sounds fine and the goals that Rama set out to achieve were genuine, but in reality/practice the changes caused the opposite effect and made the game worse and it only took Soh doing Soh things in a broadcasted tournament for people to realize that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Xytaglyph said:

And if you legitimately think that that poll tells us anything about how the general populous feels about the ruleset, you are extremely unaware and out of touch with the community. If CR1 was good and people liked it, CR2 and Sushi wouldn't even exist, and we wouldn't have a Sushi discord server with almost 150 users in it. People wanted change, so they voted for a new ruleset. Not a big surprise. On paper, the ruleset sounds fine and the goals that Rama set out to achieve were genuine, but in reality/practice the changes caused the opposite effect and made the game worse and it only took Soh doing Soh things in a broadcasted tournament for people to realize that.

"if cr1 was good and people liked it, cr2 and sushi wouldn't even exist, and we wouldn't have a sushi discord with almost 150 users in it. People wanted change, so they voted for a new ruleset." I don't even know where to start with this tbh. 

  • It only takes 1 person to make any number of rulesets, its illogical to say, because there are other rulesets, that x ruleset is bad and nobody likes it.
  • The number of people in your discord server is completely irrelevant. Anybody can spam invites to a discord server with personal and pickup channels and get members really fast. Sharqosity is in your discord server, he voted yes for cr1. LKO is in your discord server, he voted yes for cr1. Danfel is in your discord server, he voted yes for cr1. Its become an alternate reflex discord server for reasons other than rulesets.
  • The reality is, most people don't care. Most people would rather just play the game and focus on improving instead of endlessly whining about .0000000 decimal changes to rulesets and blaming their losses on it.
  • "people wanted change, so they voted for a new ruleset." Who do you even think you are to project rubbish like that onto other players. Saying the only reason they voted was because of a desire for change is simply false.  Unlike you, however, they actually bothered to reply to the forum post and provide arguments.
  • "The changes caused the opposite effect and made the game worse, and it only took Soh doing Soh things in a broadcasted tournament for people to realize that." You lost, get over it. Move on and improve instead of making every effort to delegitimize it.
  • Stop with the "majority" "people"  "everybody"  "everyone" "the community". Stick with I and why if you want to actually promote change.
  • This is getting pretty off topic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, F4ster said:

"people wanted change, so they voted for a new ruleset." Who do you even think you are to project rubbish like that onto other players. Saying the only reason they voted was because of a desire for change is simply false.  Unlike you, however, they actually bothered to reply to the forum post and provide arguments.

Can confirm that I only voted yes to rama ruleset because it was something new for the first time in months

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, F4ster said:

"if cr1 was good and people liked it, cr2 and sushi wouldn't even exist, and we wouldn't have a sushi discord with almost 150 users in it. People wanted change, so they voted for a new ruleset." I don't even know where to start with this tbh. 

  • It only takes 1 person to make any number of rulesets, its illogical to say, because there are other rulesets, that x ruleset is bad and nobody likes it.
  • The number of people in your discord server is completely irrelevant. Anybody can spam invites to a discord server with personal and pickup channels and get members really fast. Sharqosity is in your discord server, he voted yes for cr1. LKO is in your discord server, he voted yes for cr1. Danfel is in your discord server, he voted yes for cr1. Its become an alternate reflex discord server for reasons other than rulesets.
  • The reality is, most people don't care. Most people would rather just play the game and focus on improving instead of endlessly whining about .0000000 decimal changes to rulesets and blaming their losses on it.
  • "people wanted change, so they voted for a new ruleset." Who do you even think you are to project rubbish like that onto other players. Saying the only reason they voted was because of a desire for change is simply false.  Unlike you, however, they actually bothered to reply to the forum post and provide arguments.
  • "The changes caused the opposite effect and made the game worse, and it only took Soh doing Soh things in a broadcasted tournament for people to realize that." You lost, get over it. Move on and improve instead of making every effort to delegitimize it.
  • Stop with the "majority" "people"  "everybody"  "everyone" "the community". Stick with I and why if you want to actually promote change.
  • This is getting pretty off topic

The poll was literally:
Old Competitive?
or
New Reasonable Ruleset with genuine objectives?

What do you think people will pick? Not to mention it took place before Sushi was created.
And disregarding everything else I've mentioned: if 4 of the 6 top players aren't playing MM because of the ruleset and maps, then that's all it takes. We play the most and set the tone for the whole community, if we are always on friendly servers then why would other players be in MM with a community this small?

I also don't understand why you are personally attacking me relating to the comments about Soh's gameplay. I had nor have any expectation of beating Soh, nor do I have hard feelings about losing to him. I have spent hundreds of hours playing with Soh and would never make a genuine claim for any sort of illegitimacy in his victories over me, aside from occasional post-game banter.  Any individual who has marginal understanding of the game can watch the vods and see that Soh was intentionally playing as slow as possible versus every single player up until the finals, not only me, to prove that aggression was an entirely non-viable strategy and he accomplished that goal. Even the chat was commenting on how boring the games were when he was playing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Xytaglyph said:

Any individual who has marginal understanding of the game can watch the vods and see that Soh was intentionally playing as slow as possible versus every single player up until the finals, not only me, to prove that aggression was an entirely non-viable strategy and he accomplished that goal.

Soh has really good aim. I don't think him playing defensively proved much. It is not easy to rush someone when they've got good hitscan aim and playing defensively. The same exact thing works in CPM and QW. So what? Mechanically superior players (like Hal9000) can get away with being very aggressive except against those with equivalent aim (like Vo0, gaiia, Terifire, Memphis, Gellehsak, etc.). On an equal match-up, attacking is harder than defending. It's the nature of the game for a lot of reasons: less sound occlusion, geometry of maps, existence of hitscan weapons with knockback, etc..

Presumably the "better" player will have more armor/health, more weapons, and be in better positions to deal max damage while minimizing the damage they take. That's very agnostic about whether the player needs to be aggressive or defensive to achieve that "better" play. Aggressive playing is more fun (imo) but it doesn't necessarily mean "better" playing. If being aggressive against a defensive player with superior aim (and decent positional play) is a "non-viable" option, that sounds normal to me and not a useful criticism of any given ruleset.

The question of rulesets is not entirely objective. It's fairly subjective. How you like to play the game is probably reflected in your preferred ruleset. It's more a reflection of your strengths and style of play. I believe that mostly any balance is functional and that, over time, players will develop a meta-game based on the balance. QuakeWorld has insanely powerful weapons and yet has functional TDM/duel gameplay because players have developed a meta-game around QW's idiosyncratic gameplay balance.

At one point, the consensus was that CR1 was a positive improvement. There were lots of tournaments with very skilled players enjoying the ruleset. Only after RMC started did it suddenly become controversial. Perhaps people had misgivings they kept to themselves but, for some reason (likely personality reasons), RMC became a catalyst (no pun intended) for a lot of very strong opinions to be expressed. Seems like aspects of the community have become sewing circles of discontent since then.

Edited by lolograde

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, lolograde said:

Soh has really good aim. I don't think him playing defensively proved much. It is not easy to rush someone when they've got good hitscan aim and playing defensively. The same exact thing works in CPM and QW. So what? Mechanically superior players (like Hal9000) can get away with being very aggressive except against those with equivalent aim (like Vo0, gaiia, Terifire, Memphis, Gellehsak, etc.). On an equal match-up, attacking is harder than defending. It's the nature of the game for a lot of reasons: less sound occlusion, geometry of maps, existence of hitscan weapons with knockback, etc..

Presumably the "better" player will have more armor/health, more weapons, and be in better positions to deal max damage while minimizing the damage they take. That's very agnostic about whether the player needs to be aggressive or defensive to achieve that "better" play. Aggressive playing is more fun (imo) but it doesn't necessarily mean "better" playing. If being aggressive against a defensive player with superior aim (and decent positional play) is a "non-viable" option, that sounds normal to me and not a useful criticism of any given ruleset.

The question of rulesets is not entirely objective. It's fairly subjective. How you like to play the game is probably reflected in your preferred ruleset. It's more a reflection of your strengths and style of play. I believe that mostly any balance is functional and that, over time, players will develop a meta-game based on the balance. QuakeWorld has insanely powerful weapons and yet has functional TDM/duel gameplay because players have developed a meta-game around QW's idiosyncratic gameplay balance.

At one point, the consensus was that CR1 was a positive improvement. There were lots of tournaments with very skilled players enjoying the ruleset. Only after RMC started did it suddenly become controversial. Perhaps people had misgivings they kept to themselves but, for some reason (likely personality reasons), RMC became a catalyst (no pun intended) for a lot of very strong opinions to be expressed. Seems like aspects of the community have become sewing circles of discontent since then.

I think there is alot of confusion with the term "aggression". Real aggressive play styles don't 420 blaze it into their opponents with rockets every single time they see them. Good players know when to be and when not to be aggressive. So using that term confuses alot of people into thinking "I lost because he +backed really hard" when the reality is: "I lost because he was better at deciding when to push"

Take a situation: 5s after the game starts on t7, both players have similar stack, but the guy who spawned red has ion cannon. Mega/YA player rushes to get it and gets melted to pieces. What happened? He didn't wait for an opportunity. He could have waited for RA guy to drop down for bolt, drop down for red, or simply go hunting for frags.

TL:DR, Aggression is always an entirely viable strategy, even in games with very strong weapons(aka qw), but there is a significant difference between real aggressive playstyles and just plain dum rushing. Creating a ruleset on the goal of encouraging unintelligent game decisions is, imo, a very bad idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/20/2018 at 4:32 AM, F4ster said:

LKO is in your discord server, he voted yes for cr1

I voted yes purely out of being easily impressionable. I had thought that the ruleset was a step forwards mostly because of all the big boys participating in testing it and endorsing it. It was the only ruleset played at the time with the only cups being held on that specific ruleset. I don't think CR1 was the right solution (not because I dislike Ramagan or the way RMC is being ran, as people like Dazed and Lolo might insist - the ruleset is what killed the game for me entirely for a while) and I really regret voting yes as well as promoting it. I know a lot of people who voted yes on the ruleset but share the same sentiment as I do.

On 3/20/2018 at 4:32 AM, F4ster said:

The reality is, most people don't care. Most people would rather just play the game and focus on improving instead of endlessly whining about .0000000 decimal changes to rulesets and blaming their losses on it.

[snip]

Stop with the "majority" "people"  "everybody"  "everyone" "the community". Stick with I and why if you want to actually promote change.

Just stop.

Xyta isn't talking out of his ass here, you are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×