Sign in to follow this  
AEon

Pinkish darkcaulk texture for Reflex

This is for more old-school Q3A mappers, that like the caulk to be pink. I created a pinkish darkcaulk texture for Reflex:

it replaces the original file (so make a backup copy of that file first!)

SteamsteamappscommonReflexbaseinternaleditortextureseditor_nolight_c.dds

and it should make it easier to "see" and "manipulate" darkcaulk brushes, before texturing only the visible faces. The texture should also stick out more to remind you of what should still be textured.

I tested it, and it seems to work, compile times for light are not messed up or anything.

Note: Used GIMP 2.8.14 (with DDS plug-in) to create it. I have no idea what DDS compression Reflex uses, so simply used no compression and MIP maps, making the file larger. If anyone knows the proper compression settings to use in GIMP export, let me know. Thanks.

Hope that is of some use.

darkcaulk DDS for Relex by AEon.zip

Nice work, as for settings spannzer is using these setting in paint.net

I'm using the NVIDIA dds plugin for photoshop and still working it out, (not had a lot of time to do so). So far the best seems to be the DXT1 ARGB 4 bpp | 1 bit alpha with no MIP maps, although I do seem to get some odd gray pixals some times.

Thanks for the PS tip... installed the Nvidia tools... works.

I just tested DXT3 ARGP 8 bpp | explicit alpha, and No MIP maps, and that seems to work too. File size pretty much the size of the original darkcaulk. Apparently, adding MIP maps bloated my upload.

Why this format... the original DDS files in Reflex are 32 bit, so have an "explicit alpha" or so I would interpret it. In our case it does not matter since we don't use or need an alpha channel.

It depends on the texture not all of them are going to be the same.  Dev_grid brushes I tried messing with showed up at 8bit.  The gray pixels are probably missing colors from using 4bit instead of at least 8bit.  I'm also using nvidia dds and it's got a ton of settings.  Yeah it's a pain to setup and work with.  More people have had easier success with gimp than photoshop, that's just sad haha.

set current material command?

It is possible to set the current material via console command that can then be bound. I noted that I really could use darkcaulk on a key, and a few other textures too, i.e. the default grey one. I am aware that the Content Brower Hack can do it... hopefully a command can do so as well.

bind mouse4 me_getmaterial
bind mouse5 me_setmaterial

Is that what you mean?  Don't know if you can set it to a specific material.  Haven't tried doing that.  That would be nice for caulk keys.  Let me know if that works.

edit: posted at the same time.  Yeah me_activematerial should work.  Every update will wipe out all configs.  I learned to make backups in build 28.  Yeah that sucks having to rebind your keys every time but it's a necessary evil for the developers sometimes.

Benroads,

thanks... neat... this will help. And your post just warned me to backup configs again. Same will be true for darkcaulk it well be overwritten in an update.

Devil... using mouse buttons for those two functions too, the other way around though, the further away key is "get" and the nearer (4) is "set".

Using these... orange are my trims, and "f" for the unnamed default texture (for the editor.cfg).

bind e me_activematerial internal/editor/textures/editor_nolight
bind r me_activematerial structural/dev/dev_orange
bind f me_activematerial

Update:

Turns out these binds really made mapping life for me very much easier. Obviously you can manually do such things, i.e. grab the texture from another brush, but since I do such operations probably 100+ times per day, it saves mapping time.

It just occurred to me, it could be really nifty to be able to bind more than one command to a key, e.g.

bind v "me_activematerial structural/dev/dev_orange;me_setmaterial"

Select a brush, hit v to not only set the material but also to plaster it with that texture. AFAICT more than one command cannot be bound to the same key press? My tests show that the first command works the second one is ignored.

Been testing the pinkish darkcaulk some more.

After a compile I noted some pinkish light bleeding in one or two places. Seems that if there is an issue with light bleeding the colour of the darkcaulk texture, that should be irrelevant, suddenly is not. At the ceiling, dark texture angled, on both sides. And I only just now noted, very left along floor to wall edge. I know in the former case that the brushwork is less clean that it should be... the case near the floor... should be perfect... well mostly:

I would therefore recommend for any "final" build, return back to the original black darkcaulk texture. Just to be sure. In almost all other places the pinkish texture seems to have no issues.

Another thing I noted by accident, the text on the texture helps when trying to orientate textures, because the lettering has a distinct orientation. Worked nicely in my floor layout:

Well... had my first crash just now, luckily only lost 2-3 minutes. Almost creped me out that the editor was so stable. :ph34r:

Editor is extremely stable with small maps.  The bigger your map gets you'll find it can become unstable.  My current fully optimized map is 1.3mb (massive by build 28 standards) and I still run into issues.  Knowing good optimization techniques is critical at that size.  I learned about mitreing from you.  I thought you meant something completely different when discussing mitre joints.  Yeah that's a good way to cut down on brush count in some situations.  Combined with other techniques I've learned along the way you can make a massive map but once you get into about the 800KB range is when you really start paying attention to optimizations.  On a new and relatively small map there's really nothing to worry about and the editor is very stable.

When I was working on a map that size it was like 100KB.  What the heck is causing that file size to be so large?  Your brush use looks fine.  That's a large file size for the area and brushes used.  Maybe unoptimized dark caulk texture is causing it?

No, the map is a lot larger than those screenshots show (this is where I stand today):

All the paths have  trims, that alone increases the number of brushes a lot. There are many small areas, not blooming large areas that just have one brush as wall or floor.

Oh and the reason why I recommended mouse4 for get and mouse5 for set is due to accidental thumb clicks.  I'd rather accidentally copy a texture than replace a texture.  It's a safer but less efficient way to have those two arranged.  Depends on your mouse design if you have to constantly deal with accidental thumb clicks.

Since the undo in Reflex works *really* well, e.g. undo'ing texture alignments without any hitch, that should not really be an issue. I have a Logitech MX518, and the two mouse buttons are so so in location... mouse5 is slightly off... I have several other mouse buttons on the mouse... +, - and a "Windows desktop scroll" one, I would also like to use. I might need to look into that.

Clicking on the mousewheel, mouse3 works really well for switching to edit mode and back though.

Ahh mouse3 great suggestion!  I'm definitely using that one.  Zita, snag that one for your guide. 

The 518 dpi buttons I wouldn't think would make good binds since they are so small.  I always had an issue with misclicking those.  Hated the location of those dpi buttons on the 510 and 518.  I'm on a cheap M500 now because it was the cheapest replacement for a dead 518.  It's a great replacement if you've been used to logitech's 510 and 518 styling but hated the dpi scaling buttons.  It's actually the kind of changes I always wanted to the 510/518 plus it's much cheaper!  It's cheaper construction and won't hold up in terms of longevity.  As long as I don't slap it around playing Q3 too much and stick to mapping I'll be good.  Mouse wheel has really rigid clunky scroll like something out a cheap chinese knock off.  It's a loose crappy wheel but for cheap I'll take it.  Tilt wheel is crap too, never use it.

Sorry to take away from your dark caulk creation.  Does it still have that light leak issue?

I don't see a build topic for this map yet so I'll just leave this here.  I got to spend some time playing this map today.  Thanks for letting me take a look.  This is going to be an awesome and highly played TDM map I'm sure of it.  It's a really fun map with awesome features.  Can't wait until it's done and people get to see how fun it is.  This map is definitely not like other maps. It's light-hearted and yet serious at the same time. I'm sure everyone will love it.

About the light leak issues... I am seeing some in my map, and sometimes the pink of the texture is seen in the map as well... something that should not be happening... very strange. But this may be the reason the texture is almost black to begin with, to avoid any unintentional coloured leakage.

For that reason I recommend, folks use the darkcaulk texture, for mapping, but once they get to their final compiles, switch batch to the original black texture.