Sign in to follow this  
Mara

Christmas Tree Group Building

223c95620d.jpg

So it's already December and believe it or not, Christmas is coming. When I was playing around with the map editor, I got possibly the worst and the greatest idea at the same time;

Let's build a christmas tree in Reflex. No, I'm serious. We have those neon light texture thingies we can take an advantage of.

Some weekend (21st day perhaps?) we need to gather up in one server. Our objectives are

1. Build a massive and a nice tree.

2. Decorate the tree as much as possible.

3. Maybe add few present packages under the tree?

4. When everything else is done, finish the event with a star on top of the tree.

I made this thread to check if people are interesting of doing this kind of stuff together. I mean surely this is possible to do alone, but everything is better with a party!

Also we discuss here how we are going to build the tree and what kind of geometry are we going to use.

This topic belongs in the mapping forum.  Recommend you join the new here to coordinate this better through a steam group.

Neat idea.  Should the level be playable?  Should you be able to walk up the entire height of the tree inside like in Avatar?  Is it going to be decorative only just for screenshots?

Merry refleXmas?

Well a proper Xmas tree map would be very cool, but wouldn't it be cooler if the map was playable. Like make the tree part of the map. Or make the map inside the tree? Like your playing in a giant living room. You could put Mega under grammas rocker, and put RA by the fireplace? Mebe hide the weapons inside the tree like presents.

This could be a yearly collaboration too. I don't make maps, but I will come have a scotch and watch the festivus!

A thought that occurred to me was that, every participant, gets their own not too small yard with a sketch of a home on the back of the front yard, and maybe a simple fence with gate. This would be created 8 times and be used at the launch of the event. So everyone starts on even terms, and that there is something there to start with. All yards the same size. And then let everyone get to it. In the centre of all those yards there might actually already be something... like a pavilion or something that could be decorated by the group. Or even put the huge tree idea there. I would also imagine a road around the central pavilion... around the square central plot you could then place two yards in each direction. This way from the pavilion you can get a quick overview of what everyone is doing and reach them easily. If there is interest not only the tree in the yard but the "home" could be improved on and decorated, and the fence too.

Ah... another idea I just had... use the textures or assets map someone recently created, put those into a closed box room with teleporters. This way folks can pick colours and lights from an existing set without needed to use the content browser hack. The central pavilion would have TPs on four sides for quick access from the yards to the "asset room". The textures/assets part of the map would be placed far far out of view to not mess into the main map visually. Alas these assets would ramp up the compile time of the map.

Another thing that might be interesting, is to have an asset yard, where mappers could place items they think turned out nifty and would like to directly share with the others. Maybe put that under the map on a large block. Interestingly... if the block has the same size as the above area, one could clone such assets from your own yard and simply vertically drop them under the map.

Just a thought... since working on one large tree might turn into utter chaos... so some separate work on the server to begin with might help to get a feel for all this... later on could start on something together.

I would think it best to make the whole map small enough to be visible from everywhere in the map. Was that 2900u² or something? So you can watch the others without them getting put into a visual void.

The person running the server would have to save the map from time to time, in case of a crash, i.e. every 5 minutes.

If there is interest I could try to sketch out the base layout, and post a screenshot. Not sure I will be participating... but if it helps I could start on such a template map.

I watched a mapper named Castle (Castle Does on YouTube) map with a friend, and watching made me thing that some structure needs to be put into place at the beginning... from then on you do what you like... pretty much.

I love that.  How about an entire neighborhood decorated for Christmas?  Everyone gets their own yard.  I can see a single tree being a problem for a group project but a row of houses that's something that everyone can share the workload on and be creative with.  Would also be a much more playable map when all is said and done.  Maybe revisit it every Christmas and work on detailing too since things are in such a primitive state right now.

I would still like to see one giant tree in the middle or something  that people could add sorta ornaments to. 

Also I think it would make a great promo video if someone with a good setup could record or timelapse and they could use it as a promo on steam for holiday sales to show that there's an active community.

music could be something festive or slightly ironic

https://soundcloud.com/nomen-novum/the-sickness

entik my man we need you~!

Yeah I do like the idea of the living room floor and Christmas tree.  Not saying I don't.  No one's done a Christmas neighborhood though and for the purposes of cooperative mapping it makes more sense.  It could be merged together with offline progress easier.  Christmas tree merges would be a nightmare.

We can all get into a server and work on a project but there's no way we'll get done in 1 night.  Offline progress will still need to be done.  One of the great things about a neighborhood is modularizing the property lines.  That way we have definitive spaces where people can make things and then paste any updates they do right back into a master map file.  It's a super simple way to continue with progress updates offline.  Modularizing is the way to go for a group project that might take days or weeks to complete.  Think about it like a parking lot with a lot of cars.  Everyone has their own space and is not allowed to map outside that space.  This is how merging maps using xyz coordinates is possible into a single master file.  That's how my map Deflex was able to be developed by 3 people offline then merge the changes.   Changes have to be merged in a very specific way and it all depends on xyz room location or in this case neighborhood property lines.

The way the developers setup the map file makes that possible and ridiculously simple to merge multiple maps together as long as they were built in different coordinates of the map.  You just copy/paste one map file right into another and voila now you have 2 rooms in 1 map instead of 2 different rooms in 2 different maps.  If you don't understand what I'm talking about then you don't understand the real power of cooperative mapping entire single player campaigns for Reflex.  Once you realize the real potential of cooperative offline mapping in Reflex your mind will be blown.

Once we get real-time snow effects that should help make it a more genuine Christmas feeling in the future. 

I'm down for whatever, doesn't really matter to me as long as it's a group project and can be used for promotional purposes to show off the cooperative level editor capabilities.  Would make an outstanding promotional tool.  Need to learn how to record replays so we can make some videos after the fact instead of in real time.  That would kill my connection trying to do it on a server and recording with fraps in real time.

Someone needs to take charge here and setup a time/date/server for this to happen.  I'm not doing it.

I would keep the copy/paste mapping out of the picture for this. I would guess 1-2 hours to create a little something in the yard, should be enough, and if not maybe continue the whole thing the next day for more time. This way there is no chaotic back and forth and it all stays consistent. The server provider will need to save the map though... obviously.

Not wanting to rain on the party... but from what I am aware of, at least some mappers are from Europe and some from the US... so the time difference between them (East Coast to CET was 6 hours or so) can be an issue... so finding a good time would need to found.

Dedicated server would definitely help. 

I can make a video if the replay engine can support speeds faster than 1.0.  Why kind of export formats are currently available for replays?  I didn't see any.  Hope you don't mean we'd have to use screen capture software for it.

I ask before it is too late, since Xmas is only 14 days away. Should I go ahead and create a yard arena "template" for all of this... as detailed in a further up post or not? I'd hate to spend hours on it without it being of any value.

Dedicated server would definitely help. 

I can make a video if the replay engine can support speeds faster than 1.0.  Why kind of export formats are currently available for replays?  I didn't see any.  Hope you don't mean we'd have to use screen capture software for it.

It supports whatever timescale you want and the only format supported is "dump frames as images". The replay editor isn't ready for general use yet.

I ask before it is too late, since Xmas is only 14 days away. Should I go ahead and create a yard arena "template" for all of this... as detailed in a further up post or not? I'd hate to spend hours on it without it being of any value.

I say do it. Once you've got a date and time (which you might already?) then I'll be there.