chronokun

Q3 .map -> Reflex .map converter

I seem to remember using QuArK to convert various formats into other formats. IIRC it was Half-Life to Quake 2... so in future it might be a good idea to check that level editor for preliminary conversion needs.

I should probably put a bit of thought into how I want to do some of this stuff before things get too messy, the code has already became fairly ugly. =

As a programmer myself, I understand this statement completely.

But, I would say let it go.  This isn't the type of project that warrants the extra work for making the code clean, correct me if I'm wrong.  I suspect it will hardly be maintained in the future, or by anyone else.

Congratulations on reaching version 12 of the tool.

I've been building a brush-based procedural map editor, it's not yet really that usable but so far it can create brushes and export to reflex maps. Basically the maps are described procedurally using functions written in AngelScript and it generates brushes from them. =)
GitHub: https://github.com/chronokun/CkMapEditor
Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hzxdij1tvvh23t7/CkMapEditor_r0.zip?dl=0
JnvWAkh.jpg

This is "more powerful than we can possibly imagine"... I think :)

Well, the source code is there so I suppose technically you could make it do anything ;) but it's probably not that easy just yet although that's certainly the end goal :)

Maybe you guys can help me out with this experiment... I'm trying to convert .ff maps (from call of duty 4 - mainly to try default and some custom maps) using this converter into Reflex .map file. Did some research and found out that it's possible to take .ff map, put it into a zip archive and just rename .zip extension to .pk3 (but as I understood this converter is only for .map > .map). What I did try was to rename archives with .ff files and .ff files them self into a .map formats and then tried converting them. Didn't really do much besides 1kb output .map files in some cases (all of them were empty). I'm just seeking an easy way to get (only) geometry from these .ff map files and try to put them into reflex but since this is my 1st time dealing with map converting I don't really know what I should do.. 

p.s. also saw some ways people do it that they somehow convert .ff into .bsp (I think) which is somehow connected with quake map type(?) and then there is somewhere a .bsp > .map converter (but I don't seem to find any info about this)

I used to use an old tool called winbspc, to convert from .bsp to .map.  However, you might have better luck with the q3map2 tool, with command like: q3map2 -game ja -convert -format map testmap.bsp

As for .ff, I would try google "convert .ff to .bsp"

Well, the source code is there so I suppose technically you could make it do anything ;) but it's probably not that easy just yet although that's certainly the end goal :)

I managed to build it, now I gotta figure out angel script. Cool tool.

Edit: I have no idea what im doing and its awsome!

xx57gUm.jpg

Edited by MAD_JIHAD

Command line is what you call it when you give instructions to the program when starting it. Usually gamers on windows have used it by making a shortcut and then add on stuff like +console +dev +exec myconfig.cfg and so on.

Usually it is done directly from a commandpromt (win) or a terminal (linux) window. For example open a commandpromt in windows and run "ipconfig". the program then returns its basic output. Run it as "ipconfig /all" and you get more information.

Under Windows 7, main windows menu (bottom left) on the desktop, click on the Run... menu entry, and enter the cmd command. This opens a what was called a DOSbox (shell under unix), that lets you type in commands.

E.g. you change the current directory ("cd") you are working in via cd D:\Games\Reflex\

The conversion tool is normally run from such a command console, since it will take parameters that define how it works. So you would probably want to unpack the converter near the map files you want to convert. And then change the directory to where the converter was unpacked. And run it via

Q3ToReflex_r11.exe -<parameter1> -<parameter2> <mapname>.map

You will need to check what parameters you need. I don't have the exact instructions for the parameters at hand presently though.

Edited by AEon

I'm stilled confused on what to do. I'm trying to convert thct7 to q3 using ReflexToQ3.exe.

I know what "cmd" or command prompt is but I didn't know I had to use that.

I typed in ReflexToQ3.exe thct7.map thct7q3.map And got an error

I'm stilled confused on what to do. I'm trying to convert thct7 to q3 using ReflexToQ3.exe.

I know what "cmd" or command prompt is but I didn't know I had to use that.

I typed in ReflexToQ3.exe thct7.map thct7q3.map And got an error

​Tell us what the error is

​'ReflexToQ3.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file.

​Then you are not executing the command from the correct directory. Change the directory to the one the reflextoq3 executable is in.

There are several ways to do this, the most obvious ones are to use the command cd (change directory) to navigate to the correct folder (cd to change directory, dir to list directory/files in the current folder).

Another way is to hold shift, and right click inside the folder containing the .exe, a new option should pop up in the context menu (open command prompt here).

Yet another way is to create a new file in the same folder as the .exe is in and call it something like opencmd.bat, and inside, all you place is the text "cmd", without the quotes. Now you can double click this file to open the command prompt in that folder.

I am pretty sure you need a command line parameter to convert Reflex to q3a maps... and that is why the above did not work. (Apparent no parameter needed.) And as the above posted your executable is not in any know path... thus the console cannot find the command.

I'd do something like, create a folder on another drive than C:\ e.g. D:\temp\ ... and unpack the converter into that temporary folder, and copy the Reflex .map file into that folder as well. Then open the command prompt there, i..e. cd D:\temp\ and run the converter exe from there, using the proper parameters.

You will need the latest version of the converter, that got sort of lost in all those posts:

DL:https://www.dropbox.com/s/jj2wauhfauo4zwa/ReflexToQ3_r2.zip?dl=0

# ReflexToQ3
Converter to convert reflex maps into quake-style .map format.

Usage run from commandline: ReflexToQ3.exe [input].map [output].map
Edited by AEon

You will need the latest version of the converter, that got sort of lost in all those posts:

DL:https://www.dropbox.com/s/jj2wauhfauo4zwa/ReflexToQ3_r2.zip?dl=0

​I think I actually updated my first post with a link to it, anyway:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/prmdko6s59jlwma/ReflexToQ3_r6.zip?dl=0

Another way is to hold shift, and right click inside the folder containing the .exe, a new option should pop up in the context menu (open command prompt here).

​Thanks Windows for hiding all your useful options in secret hidden menus :lol:

Edited by chronokun
stuff

thanks a lot chronokun, great tool!

i have some issues porting my cpm-map from radiant (1.6.4), though.

no matter how much i clean up the map before converting, i end up with random results with most of the brushwork missing (see in the pics).

atm, my workaround is to slice the map into four pieces, converting the quarters seperately and then creating a prefab per quarter in order to merge the

pieces as text into one map-file.

like this i loose just a few (invalid) brushes, still it's pretty fiddly as there is a limited number of brushes to be selected at once within reflex editor and

handling prefabs of this size is kinda unstable (needed about 10 attempts until this actually worked).

any idea if this can be solved ?

Screenshot7056.jpg

Screenshot17911.jpg

just had another try updating my map from radiant.

this time i tried disassembling my map like a prefabricated house, converting each part seperately and reassembling it in reflex editor.

still, there is quite a lot of brushwork getting lost, so it can't be the max number of brushes...:huh:

strangely, i get better conversions when slicing the map with the clipping tool, which is actually a little messy around the cut edge plus increasing the brush count.

am i doing smth wrong?

anyone having problems converting maps from radiant?

any help?

The map converter hasn't been updated in quite a while, there's probably bugs in it, I haven't been supporting it much lately since I've been kinda busy and somewhat lost interest in it but if you don't mind sending me example maps that are having problems I can probably find some time to take a look at it and do some debugging, also considering possibility of either porting the converter to Lua or adding Lua scripting to it at some point since people seem to be quite happy doing the Lua UI scripting it got me thinking maybe people would be more comfortable working on the map converters if they were Lua based too?

7 hours ago, chronokun said:

The map converter hasn't been updated in quite a while, there's probably bugs in it, I haven't been supporting it much lately since I've been kinda busy and somewhat lost interest in it but if you don't mind sending me example maps that are having problems I can probably find some time to take a look at it and do some debugging, also considering possibility of either porting the converter to Lua or adding Lua scripting to it at some point since people seem to be quite happy doing the Lua UI scripting it got me thinking maybe people would be more comfortable working on the map converters if they were Lua based too?

That would be amazing. For me c++ is a little to much to dive into but lua is very intuitive.

On 18.6.2016 at 4:47 AM, chronokun said:

that would be so cool! :rolleyes:

here is two examples where brushes are being lost:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fkqw39v48ynlnbj/Q3ToReflex_testfiles.zip?dl=1

i kept it simple about the map size. just a test conversion of my initial q2_quickfire port for q3a and a tiny brush update for gt1

there's screenshots for both files, showing a missing brush prior to conversion. if you need more complex material, i could dig out those files from my first post...

however, opening the maps as text looks like the brushes are being converted but not present within reflex.

by now, i believe this is due to "invalid" brushes causing reflex to skip them and all following data. :unsure:

I tried this out last night on some of my old Quake 2 maps, and it seems to work pretty well, but is there a way to scale the level up on conversion? The geometry converted perfectly, and looks great in game, but it's too small. I can't fit through the doorways I have, and on the whole, it just needs to be a touch bigger. Can I do this during conversion from Quake 2 .map to reflex .map? 
Is there a way to select all the geo in the reflex editor and scale it up all at once? 

17 hours ago, welbot said:

I tried this out last night on some of my old Quake 2 maps, and it seems to work pretty well, but is there a way to scale the level up on conversion? The geometry converted perfectly, and looks great in game, but it's too small. I can't fit through the doorways I have, and on the whole, it just needs to be a touch bigger. Can I do this during conversion from Quake 2 .map to reflex .map? 
Is there a way to select all the geo in the reflex editor and scale it up all at once?