Sign in to follow this  
Runningman

suggestion for whats to come

im not sure everyone realizes how out of control this game and forum could get. with no place or site for players to upload maps etc.. everythings going to be forum based. knowing what happened to defrags forum at overdrivepc, they lost about 10 years of uploaded demos, maps, and skins. lets face it, with the map editor so readily available everyone and their mothers going to be making maps.

i HIGHLY recommend you create a thread pointing users to use fpsbanana.com to manage and upload all things content related to reflex. its been up and running for 10 or so years and handles shit tons of skins maps models etc. this way when there are updates to a map or skin everything is centrally located with one download location. they also provide generated forum links for you to pick from and unlimited bandwidth and free accounts.

please do something before maps end up all over the place and we end up with another bo_beta1 situation from cpm. i can talk to the owner tom to add a section for reflex and push it through approval faster.

lol fpsbanana has a cluttered old interface and is rarely used. Reflex is a brand new title not even fully released. Defrag has been around for 15 years or so. dw. I'm sure a ws.q3df equivalent will pop up with enough quakers around.

actually fps banana is one of the oldest and largest mod sites on the net and has numerous uploads daily. and since when does a particularly designed interface dictate ones potential? unless you want to contribute a better and equally reliable idea? and you do know this is the map section right? nobodies talking about making a defrag mod, its about a reliable source for everyone to use for uploads and navigation.

Doesn't matter the activity rate, if the interface is a pain to work with and a pain to look at, then they have presented their product poorly and don't deserve our stuff. If the above post is also true, then it is worse. when i said ws.q3df i was referring to this.

It's easier for people to use Workshop because not only is the content right there from a few clicks away, but you don't have to go through a number of directories for the location of the map in order to play it in the game. Sure, that ruins the whole fun of modding communities, but we just have to adapt to these changes.

well i know that map source is really good, infact im surprised its still up, i have it booked still. as far as virus's and malware ive used fpsb for years and havent come across anything like that yet. ive let them handle all my mods for cs:source and tf2 for a while now.

-so i guess fpsb is off the list

-im not sure if the ws q3df map archive host would appreciate that much bandwidth

-as far as workshop goes ive always found it confusing because theres this big showcase of skins and maps but most of the time you cant use them and it doesnt seem like its integrated to have a simple download button. i guess id have to look a little close as i havent payed much attention to workshops potential.

since we established all that, what other option would be left? i truly think this game could be huge and i just want to see it go in the right directions know what i mean.

well i know that map source is really good, infact im surprised its still up, i have it booked still. as far as virus's and malware ive used it for years and havent come across anything like that yet. ive let them handle all my mods for cs:source and tf2 for a while now.

so i guess fpsb is off the list

im not sure if the ws q3df map archive host would appreciate that much bandwidth

as far as workshop goes ive always found it confusing because theres this big showcase of skins and maps but most of the time you cant use them and it doesnt seem like its integrated to have a simple download button. i guess id have to look a little close as i havent payed much attention to workshops potential.

since we established all that, what other option would be left? i truly think this game could be huge and i just want to see it go in the right directions know what i mean.

The ones that are just skins, such as TF2, are done that way because they're mainly idea boards.

They do this because, since the game is free, they don't want to get a Workshop with more free content.

By having free content in a Workshop for a free game, the developer is losing a lot of potential money, and thus, they do their Workshop that way to give an idea of what items are coming and so on.

Workshop is a good method, and I'm pretty sure that they won't do a Workshop like TF2's or something, seeing how we paid for the game.